Track team continues to qualify several for NCAA’ s

The University of Miami women’s track and field team broke two school records and qualified six individuals and two relays for the NCAA Regional Championships this weekend at the Texas Relays in Austin, TX and Bulls Invitational in Tampa, FL.
The women’s 4×200-meter relay of senior All-American Sashanie Simpson, junior All-American Kitoya Carter, sophomore Wiande Moore and senior All-American Jamillah Wade broke one of the longest standing records in school-history. The foursome finished fourth with a time of 1:34.22 bettering the old UM record of 1:34.70 set back in 1994.
Wade, Carter and Simpson were also members of the 4×400-meter relay, along with senior All-American Saraque Whittaker, that finished third with a NCAA Regional qualifying mark of 3:31.21.
In the 100-meters, sophomore All-American Lauryn Williams finished fourth with a wind-aided time of 11.23 seconds. The time is the fastest ever by a Hurricane and qualified her for the NCAA Regional Championships, May 30-31, in Fairfax, VA.
Williams also anchored the 4×100-meter relay that took fourth with a NCAA Regional qualifying time of 44.20 seconds. Joining Williams on the relay were freshmen All-Americans Dominique Darden and Charlette Greggs, and senior All-American Sharianne Lawson.
Lawson finished seventh in the University 100-meter hurdles with an NCAA Regional mark of 13.94 seconds while Darden posted a NCAA regional qualifying time of 13.74 in finishing seventh in 100-meter hurdles invitational.
In the long jump, senior All-American Gina Harris finished eighth with a season-best leap of 6.12 meters (20-01.00). Her mark qualifies her for the NCAA Regional Championships.
Miami also had competitors at the Bulls Invitational in Tampa, FL where senior Adrienne Moss won the shot put with a school-record and NCAA Regional qualifying toss of 15.83 meters (51-11.25). Teammate, and former school-record holder, Jennifer Penrose finished third with an NCAA Regional mark of 15.34 meters (50-04.00).
On the men’s side juniors Aaron Bass and Jon Mark finished second and third in the pole vault, and three Hurricanes recorded Big East qualifying marks at the Bull Invitational in Tampa, FL.
Bass recorded a Big East qualifying mark of 4.75 meters (15-07.00) while Mark also qualified for the Big East Championships, May 4-6 in Storrs, CT with a mark of 4.60 meters (15-01.00).
Also qualifying for the Big East Championship was senior Kenny Frank who finished fourth in the 100-meter hurdles with a time of 15.00 seconds.
Senior Dan Boniface also ran well finishing second in the 5,000-meters with a time of 15:24.
The Hurricanes host the Miami Gatorade Track and Field Classic on Saturday at Cobb Stadium in Coral Gables, FL. Field events are scheduled to begin at noon with running events starting at 5:15 p.m.

-compiled by the sports information department

The series—which will feature experts discussing their groundbreaking research on corals, ocean and atmospheric science, and how climate change is forcing communities to alter their long-range plans—will begin this week. ...

Octavia Bridges, a 20-year veteran of the University of Miami Police Department, has been promoted to oversee crime prevention and community relations on the Coral Gables Campus. ...

The Jan. 6 Capitol insurrection has given social scientists and psychologists another example to examine the behavior and actions of groups. ...

Some experts believe that pent-up demand will push the economy into a rebound after the majority of the U.S. population receives the COVID-19 vaccine. ...

All students are required to test negative for COVID-19 before attending any in-person classes, programs, or work shifts on any University of Miami campus. With the start of classes Monday, here is the critical information students need to know. ...