Track team continues to qualify several for NCAA’ s

The University of Miami women’s track and field team broke two school records and qualified six individuals and two relays for the NCAA Regional Championships this weekend at the Texas Relays in Austin, TX and Bulls Invitational in Tampa, FL.
The women’s 4×200-meter relay of senior All-American Sashanie Simpson, junior All-American Kitoya Carter, sophomore Wiande Moore and senior All-American Jamillah Wade broke one of the longest standing records in school-history. The foursome finished fourth with a time of 1:34.22 bettering the old UM record of 1:34.70 set back in 1994.
Wade, Carter and Simpson were also members of the 4×400-meter relay, along with senior All-American Saraque Whittaker, that finished third with a NCAA Regional qualifying mark of 3:31.21.
In the 100-meters, sophomore All-American Lauryn Williams finished fourth with a wind-aided time of 11.23 seconds. The time is the fastest ever by a Hurricane and qualified her for the NCAA Regional Championships, May 30-31, in Fairfax, VA.
Williams also anchored the 4×100-meter relay that took fourth with a NCAA Regional qualifying time of 44.20 seconds. Joining Williams on the relay were freshmen All-Americans Dominique Darden and Charlette Greggs, and senior All-American Sharianne Lawson.
Lawson finished seventh in the University 100-meter hurdles with an NCAA Regional mark of 13.94 seconds while Darden posted a NCAA regional qualifying time of 13.74 in finishing seventh in 100-meter hurdles invitational.
In the long jump, senior All-American Gina Harris finished eighth with a season-best leap of 6.12 meters (20-01.00). Her mark qualifies her for the NCAA Regional Championships.
Miami also had competitors at the Bulls Invitational in Tampa, FL where senior Adrienne Moss won the shot put with a school-record and NCAA Regional qualifying toss of 15.83 meters (51-11.25). Teammate, and former school-record holder, Jennifer Penrose finished third with an NCAA Regional mark of 15.34 meters (50-04.00).
On the men’s side juniors Aaron Bass and Jon Mark finished second and third in the pole vault, and three Hurricanes recorded Big East qualifying marks at the Bull Invitational in Tampa, FL.
Bass recorded a Big East qualifying mark of 4.75 meters (15-07.00) while Mark also qualified for the Big East Championships, May 4-6 in Storrs, CT with a mark of 4.60 meters (15-01.00).
Also qualifying for the Big East Championship was senior Kenny Frank who finished fourth in the 100-meter hurdles with a time of 15.00 seconds.
Senior Dan Boniface also ran well finishing second in the 5,000-meters with a time of 15:24.
The Hurricanes host the Miami Gatorade Track and Field Classic on Saturday at Cobb Stadium in Coral Gables, FL. Field events are scheduled to begin at noon with running events starting at 5:15 p.m.

-compiled by the sports information department

UM was very fortunate that junior linebackers Shaquille Quarterman, Mike Pinckney and Zach McCloud a ...

Hard Rock Stadium will be filled with Miami fans — and probably only Miami fans — when the two colle ...

They made school history on Sunday with a nationally-televised road upset of No. 2 Louisville, and o ...

Mark Walton, the former University of Miami star football player and current Cincinnati Bengal, was ...

Don Chaney Jr. says his recruitment is over and the way he talks about the Miami Hurricanes, it’s ea ...

Researcher Rebecca Bulotsky Shearer is leading a study aimed at increasing the number of kids who ar ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Hours after garnering espnW National Player of the Week distinction, Emese Hof of the Miami women ...

For the second straight Monday, a member of the Miami women's basketball team has earned a nati ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami golf team moved up two spots on Monday's leaderboard at t ...