Track team continues to qualify several for NCAA’ s

The University of Miami women’s track and field team broke two school records and qualified six individuals and two relays for the NCAA Regional Championships this weekend at the Texas Relays in Austin, TX and Bulls Invitational in Tampa, FL.
The women’s 4×200-meter relay of senior All-American Sashanie Simpson, junior All-American Kitoya Carter, sophomore Wiande Moore and senior All-American Jamillah Wade broke one of the longest standing records in school-history. The foursome finished fourth with a time of 1:34.22 bettering the old UM record of 1:34.70 set back in 1994.
Wade, Carter and Simpson were also members of the 4×400-meter relay, along with senior All-American Saraque Whittaker, that finished third with a NCAA Regional qualifying mark of 3:31.21.
In the 100-meters, sophomore All-American Lauryn Williams finished fourth with a wind-aided time of 11.23 seconds. The time is the fastest ever by a Hurricane and qualified her for the NCAA Regional Championships, May 30-31, in Fairfax, VA.
Williams also anchored the 4×100-meter relay that took fourth with a NCAA Regional qualifying time of 44.20 seconds. Joining Williams on the relay were freshmen All-Americans Dominique Darden and Charlette Greggs, and senior All-American Sharianne Lawson.
Lawson finished seventh in the University 100-meter hurdles with an NCAA Regional mark of 13.94 seconds while Darden posted a NCAA regional qualifying time of 13.74 in finishing seventh in 100-meter hurdles invitational.
In the long jump, senior All-American Gina Harris finished eighth with a season-best leap of 6.12 meters (20-01.00). Her mark qualifies her for the NCAA Regional Championships.
Miami also had competitors at the Bulls Invitational in Tampa, FL where senior Adrienne Moss won the shot put with a school-record and NCAA Regional qualifying toss of 15.83 meters (51-11.25). Teammate, and former school-record holder, Jennifer Penrose finished third with an NCAA Regional mark of 15.34 meters (50-04.00).
On the men’s side juniors Aaron Bass and Jon Mark finished second and third in the pole vault, and three Hurricanes recorded Big East qualifying marks at the Bull Invitational in Tampa, FL.
Bass recorded a Big East qualifying mark of 4.75 meters (15-07.00) while Mark also qualified for the Big East Championships, May 4-6 in Storrs, CT with a mark of 4.60 meters (15-01.00).
Also qualifying for the Big East Championship was senior Kenny Frank who finished fourth in the 100-meter hurdles with a time of 15.00 seconds.
Senior Dan Boniface also ran well finishing second in the 5,000-meters with a time of 15:24.
The Hurricanes host the Miami Gatorade Track and Field Classic on Saturday at Cobb Stadium in Coral Gables, FL. Field events are scheduled to begin at noon with running events starting at 5:15 p.m.

-compiled by the sports information department

The Miami Hurricanes didn’t waste long to find their replacements for Manny Diaz at defensive coordi ...

The Miami Hurricanes will have to try to get revenge on the Wisconsin Badgers without perhaps their ...

Mark Barnes likes to call Zion Nelson a “throwback” player, but the coach really means Nelson is sor ...

The land of palm trees, beaches and mojitos gave way to the land of the Liberty Bell, cheesesteaks a ...

The University of Miami on Thursday launched a national search as it begins the difficult task of re ...

The Foote Fellows Honors Program offers students added flexibility to pursue multiple academic inter ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The University of Miami will welcome more than 1,000 new graduates into the UM alumni family during ...

Hurricanes Name Banda, Patke Co-Defensive Coordinators; Promote Simpson to Associate Head Coach ...

The No. 24/22 Miami women's basketball team will conclude its three-game homestand Sunday at 1 ...

World Series champion and UM baseball All-American Jon Jay will headline the 2019 First Pitch Banque ...

Fall graduation ceremonies held Thursday at Watsco Center. ...

The Miami women's basketball team ascended one position in each of the major national polls thi ...