Sports Briefs

Women’s golf
Sophomore Tina Miller fired a tournament low round of 69 to lead the University of Miami women’s golf team to a third-place finish at the Ryder Florida Women’s Collegiate Golf Championship at Don Shula’s Golf Club and Resort in Miami Lakes, FL.
Miller (76-77-69-222) finished second individually, two-strokes behind tournament champion Kristin Tamulis who posted a three-round total of 220 (74-71-75). Tamulis, who was runner-up at last season’s Ryder Championship, finished one-under over the final three holes to hold off Miller’s final round charge.
Florida State won the team championship for the second consecutive season posting a total of 900 (298-291-311). South Florida recorded the day’s team low (303) and finished second with a total of 924 (317-304-303). Host Miami was third with a score of 940 (319-306-315).
Miami returns to action May 8-10 at the Big East Women’s Golf Championships in South Bend, IN.

Men’s Tennis
The No. 25-ranked University of Miami men’s tennis team fell 6-1 to South Florida Saturday in Tampa, ending a six-match win streak and possibly knocking them out of the Top 25.
The only Hurricane to take a point was Eric Hechtman, who defeated Andres Maroldt 6-2, 6-2 in straight sets.
UM also lost the doubles point as Hechtman and partner Todd Widom, who has completely recovered from an illness that plagued him earlier in the season, took the Hurricanes’ sole victory there, defeating Nadim Naser and Federico Barton 8-2.
With the loss, the Hurricanes fell to 12-6 and will take on Duke in Coral Gables next Sunday before competing in the Big East Championships.

Women’s tennis
The No. 19-ranked Miami women’s tennis team beat Old Dominion 7-0 in its fifth shutout of the season Saturday afternoon in Norfolk, Virginia.
The Hurricanes improve to 14-4 overall and will likely move up in the national rankings while the Lady Monarchs fall to 6-10 on the season.
Freshman Melissa Applebaum ranked No. 73 in the nation knocked off the No. 18 ranked player Nataly Cahana in singles action. Megan Bradley and Mari Toro easily handled their opponents as well. The doubles teams were all victorious.
Next weekend the Hurricanes will take on Notre Dame in Coral Gables to tune up for the Big East Championships, which start on April 25 in Coral Gables.

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larranaga, awaiting word from the NCAA on the appeal to rei ...

The Hurricanes officially welcomed ballyhooed new quarterback Tate Martell on campus Friday, and he’ ...

Before Jess Simpson’s final playoff run as the coach of Buford fell short in a Georgia state champio ...

The Miami Hurricanes football coaching staff is officially complete. UM announced Friday that Taylor ...

The Marlins — along with a handful of other teams — haven’t signed a single player from another team ...

The University of Miami brings together leaders in academia, professional practice, and industry to ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

"We're excited to welcome these coaches to the Miami family," Diaz said. ...

Canes have won six of last 10 meetings with UNC. ...

Check out the January edition of the University of Miami's e-magazine. ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team improved to 2-0 on the young season after securing a ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team will play its first doubleheader of the season Saturday in ...