Sports Briefs

Women’s golf
Sophomore Tina Miller fired a tournament low round of 69 to lead the University of Miami women’s golf team to a third-place finish at the Ryder Florida Women’s Collegiate Golf Championship at Don Shula’s Golf Club and Resort in Miami Lakes, FL.
Miller (76-77-69-222) finished second individually, two-strokes behind tournament champion Kristin Tamulis who posted a three-round total of 220 (74-71-75). Tamulis, who was runner-up at last season’s Ryder Championship, finished one-under over the final three holes to hold off Miller’s final round charge.
Florida State won the team championship for the second consecutive season posting a total of 900 (298-291-311). South Florida recorded the day’s team low (303) and finished second with a total of 924 (317-304-303). Host Miami was third with a score of 940 (319-306-315).
Miami returns to action May 8-10 at the Big East Women’s Golf Championships in South Bend, IN.

Men’s Tennis
The No. 25-ranked University of Miami men’s tennis team fell 6-1 to South Florida Saturday in Tampa, ending a six-match win streak and possibly knocking them out of the Top 25.
The only Hurricane to take a point was Eric Hechtman, who defeated Andres Maroldt 6-2, 6-2 in straight sets.
UM also lost the doubles point as Hechtman and partner Todd Widom, who has completely recovered from an illness that plagued him earlier in the season, took the Hurricanes’ sole victory there, defeating Nadim Naser and Federico Barton 8-2.
With the loss, the Hurricanes fell to 12-6 and will take on Duke in Coral Gables next Sunday before competing in the Big East Championships.

Women’s tennis
The No. 19-ranked Miami women’s tennis team beat Old Dominion 7-0 in its fifth shutout of the season Saturday afternoon in Norfolk, Virginia.
The Hurricanes improve to 14-4 overall and will likely move up in the national rankings while the Lady Monarchs fall to 6-10 on the season.
Freshman Melissa Applebaum ranked No. 73 in the nation knocked off the No. 18 ranked player Nataly Cahana in singles action. Megan Bradley and Mari Toro easily handled their opponents as well. The doubles teams were all victorious.
Next weekend the Hurricanes will take on Notre Dame in Coral Gables to tune up for the Big East Championships, which start on April 25 in Coral Gables.

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

The 1983 national champions will be back on campus to celebrate the 35thanniversary of Miami's ...

The University of Miami volleyball program begins ACC play on Friday night against Wake Forest at 7 ...

Head coach Katie Meier announced Wednesday the ninth annual Miami Women's Basketball Fantasy Ca ...

The yearly Miami Fall Invite will take place Friday through Sunday at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center, ...

Through three games, Miami is No. 1 in the country in tackles for loss and the entire Hurricanes def ...