Sports Briefs

Women’s golf
Sophomore Tina Miller fired a tournament low round of 69 to lead the University of Miami women’s golf team to a third-place finish at the Ryder Florida Women’s Collegiate Golf Championship at Don Shula’s Golf Club and Resort in Miami Lakes, FL.
Miller (76-77-69-222) finished second individually, two-strokes behind tournament champion Kristin Tamulis who posted a three-round total of 220 (74-71-75). Tamulis, who was runner-up at last season’s Ryder Championship, finished one-under over the final three holes to hold off Miller’s final round charge.
Florida State won the team championship for the second consecutive season posting a total of 900 (298-291-311). South Florida recorded the day’s team low (303) and finished second with a total of 924 (317-304-303). Host Miami was third with a score of 940 (319-306-315).
Miami returns to action May 8-10 at the Big East Women’s Golf Championships in South Bend, IN.

Men’s Tennis
The No. 25-ranked University of Miami men’s tennis team fell 6-1 to South Florida Saturday in Tampa, ending a six-match win streak and possibly knocking them out of the Top 25.
The only Hurricane to take a point was Eric Hechtman, who defeated Andres Maroldt 6-2, 6-2 in straight sets.
UM also lost the doubles point as Hechtman and partner Todd Widom, who has completely recovered from an illness that plagued him earlier in the season, took the Hurricanes’ sole victory there, defeating Nadim Naser and Federico Barton 8-2.
With the loss, the Hurricanes fell to 12-6 and will take on Duke in Coral Gables next Sunday before competing in the Big East Championships.

Women’s tennis
The No. 19-ranked Miami women’s tennis team beat Old Dominion 7-0 in its fifth shutout of the season Saturday afternoon in Norfolk, Virginia.
The Hurricanes improve to 14-4 overall and will likely move up in the national rankings while the Lady Monarchs fall to 6-10 on the season.
Freshman Melissa Applebaum ranked No. 73 in the nation knocked off the No. 18 ranked player Nataly Cahana in singles action. Megan Bradley and Mari Toro easily handled their opponents as well. The doubles teams were all victorious.
Next weekend the Hurricanes will take on Notre Dame in Coral Gables to tune up for the Big East Championships, which start on April 25 in Coral Gables.

The United States Postal Service features Emilio Sanchez, the first Cuban American visual artist to be recognized in a new series of Forever stamps. ...

With the first elevated concrete floor deck poured last week, the Frost Institute of Chemistry and Molecular Science is on pace to open in the summer of 2022. ...

In a new study that scrutinized the speech patterns of Freddie Mercury, Michael Phelps, and other celebrities, University of Miami researchers offer insights on how diet ultimately reshapes language. ...

The multidisciplinary forum in April will explore lessons learned from the regions. There is a call for papers to be presented, but abstracts must be submitted by Jan. 17. ...

Former executive vice president John L. Green Jr., who helped launch the University’s football dynasty with two key coaching hires, passed away this month. ...