SpectrUM wants students to taste the rainbow

SpectrUM, formerly the Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual Community [GLBC], presents Spring Awareness Week, a week when the organization strives to educate all UM students about issues that affect the gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgendered community.
Each day of the week will be dedicated to a specific issue ranging from national issues, such as the “don’t ask, don’t tell” policy of the U.S. military and the Texas sodomy case which was recently taken up by the U.S. Supreme Court, to issues closer to home like the Florida adoption ban currently targeting gay parents.
“The issues are cool. I’m curious to hear about the Florida adoption ban for someone other than Rosie O’Donnell,” Zack Armstrong, sophomore, said.
Many students realize the importance of such informational events.
“It’s important for us to learn about such important issues because they affect all of us, not just gays and lesbians,” Heather St. Pierre, freshman, said. “They should hold more educational events throughout the year because it’s stuff that people may not be familiar with.”
Officers of SpectrUM could not be reached for comment.
However, according to the official website for the organization, throughout the week, SpectrUM will be educating the campus community through tabling in the UC Breezeway, guest speakers and lecturers and interactive events.
On Wednesday, SpectrUM members will be wearing red armbands and engaging in silent protests in honor of the National Day of Silence.
Organized by students in more than 1,900 schools across the country, with an estimated participation of more than 100,000 students, the National Day of Silence has been described as the largest single student-led action toward creating safer schools.
“We participated in the National Day of Silences at my high school,” Sandra Johnston, freshman, said. “It was a really big deal because it helped bring us all together.”
“Education is the best way to create tolerance,” Johnston said.
Currently, SpectrUM has a support group for students who may not feel comfortable attending SpectrUM meetings that are advertised and open to the public. The support group is facilitated by a member of the University Counseling Center staff, and all attendants are pre-screened to insure that their intentions are correct.
For a complete schedule of Spring Awareness Week, visit the SpectrUM website at www.miami.edu/studorgs/glbc. SpectrUM meetings are held every Thursday at 8 p.m. in the Flamingo Ballroom, on the second floor of the UC.

Leigha Taber can be contacted at l.taber@umiami.edu

Lots of nuggets on new UM quarterback Tate Martell, the fallout and Jarren Williams’ reaction: ▪ Whe ...

Katie Meier is a legend at Duke. Her photo hangs in the concourse at Cameron Indoor Arena. She was t ...

New University of Miami head coach Manny Diaz was asked on the radio the morning after he was hired, ...

Jalen Hurts is off the market — and he’s not making his way to South Florida. The former Alabama Cri ...

For three years earlier this decade, Marlins Park would masquerade as a football venue at least once ...

Gisela Vega, the former associate director of LGBTQA Initiatives at Florida International University ...

With new “personas” allowing for a more personalized mobile experience, the redesigned University of ...

Teams of scholars will use U-LINK grants to examine ways to reduce opportunity gaps and biases in mu ...

The film launches the 2019 film series for the UM Libraries Cuban Heritage Collection. ...

Here’s a go-to list of dates you should keep an eye on throughout the semester, along with some tidb ...

Miami released its 2019 football schedule highlighted by a season-opening matchup against Florida in ...

University of Miami head women's volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara announced Monda ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...

After a weekend bye, the Miami women's basketball team resumes action Thursday evening at 7 p.m ...

The University of Miami football program has hired Dan Enos as its offensive coordinator and quarter ...