Culture

eye filler: Reggae Fest at the Convocation Center

Lighting up the joint: UM’s Convocation Center is turning into quite the lucrative concert venue. This past Saturday, Power 96 and an auto-maker hosted a reggae event that had a sold out crowd of local Miamians and UM students getting “irie.”

Opener Red Rat took stabs at political commentary, telling everyone that Dubya should smoke some herb and chill out. Inner Circle performed their “Bad Boys” signature before the Marley Brothers lit up the stage with an extensive ensemble and got people shaking their “ting” to the riddim.

Before the headliners appeared, booty dancers entertained the crowd. When Sean Paul, Beenie Man and Wayne Wonder hit the stage, the venue was happily dazed.

With the acquisition of the new instrument and an accompanying nanoindenter, studies at the College of Engineering are entering a new and advanced era of materials characterization. ...

University of Miami researchers applaud the scientific inquiry and access to reliable data that accompanies the legalization of cannabis—as four more states recently approved measures, and federal legislation to decriminalize it continues to progress. ...

The prestigious Pan American Art Projects Gallery will donate 25 percent of a virtual, live event to the University Libraries’ parcel. ...

Members of the University of Miami community share their ideas on how to persevere during the pandemic. ...

University and celebrity musicians will participate in a benefit concert on Thanksgiving Day to support the nonprofit organization Nurse Heroes Foundation. ...