Crudup escaping from backround in a big way this spring

Before everyone pencils in Brock Berlin as the Hurricanes’ starting quarterback this season, they might want to consult Derrick Crudup, who sees himself as the odds-on-favorite to take the snaps this year.
Crudup continued to stay neck-and-neck with Berlin in Saturday’s Cane Fest Spring Game, going 7 for 8 with 100 yards and a touchdown pass. The junior looked impressive in the first drive of the game, completing all four of his passes, including a touchdown.
While Berlin seems like the logical choice to most fans, Crudup feels that he has shown coach Larry Coker qualities in his game that can’t be ignored.
“I think I made a real strong case for myself today,” Crudup said after the Spring Game. “I know that it’s up to the coaches to make the decision, but I feel really good about my chances.”
Growing up in Deerfield Beach, Florida, Crudup starred at Deerfield Beach High School and was considered a top prospect amongst local quarterbacks, rated fifth out of all the athletes in the region by the Southeast Prep Star. As a senior Crudup threw for 1,800 yards and 26 touchdowns, catching the eyes of UM scouts.
While at UM, Crudup has always been the odd-man-out. As legendary ‘Canes quarterback Ken Dorsey’s backup, Crudup usually only played in big blowouts, with career numbers of 25 for 48, 326 yards and three touchdowns.
In the biggest game of the season last year, however, Crudup was thrown into the fire in the second overtime after Dorsey got injured. Facing a third down with 11 yards to go, Crudup calmly completed an eight-yard pass to Quadtrine Hill, setting up a Dorsey completion to Kellen Winslow to keep the ‘Canes season alive for a few more plays.
It has been little things like replacing Dorsey for a play in the Fiesta Bowl that have highlighted Crudup’s first two years as a Hurricane. Now Crudup is tired of waiting for a chance to shine, realizing that he is going to have to do it for himself.
“I need to make a statement during the spring, knowing that I am not the favorite to most people,” Crudup said. “So far I feel that I have given myself a great chance to be the starter.”
One thing that Crudup has over Berlin is that he has played in the Orange Bowl for two years, gaining valuable experience and learning from Dorsey. He indicated after the spring game that he feels very comfortable in the large stadium.
“I felt at ease playing in the Orange Bowl today,” Crudup said. “I know I can play well at this stadium.”
As far as Crudup’s relationship with Berlin goes, the two get along just as well as they do with the other teammates. There is a mutual respect between the two competitors.
“Any time you compete with a teammate for a job it makes you respect the other person a lot more,” Berlin said. “We’re both teammates and we’re in it to win no matter who’s the starter.”
Crudup has taken the role of the forgotten man this spring, desperate to show his critics that he has not gotten the respect he deserved when everyone immediately penciled in Berlin as the starter at the end of last season.
“I feel like I have accomplished a lot this spring and so has Brock,” Crudup said. “All I can do now is keep getting better and making the decision even harder for the coaches.”

-Eric Kalis can be reached at elk777bc@hotmail.com

Eleven football seasons ago, after the Miami Hurricanes and FIU Panthers met at the Orange Bowl for ...

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

NASPA names UM as a Lead Advisory Institution for the seventh year in a row. ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball program won its third straight match in 3-0 fashion on Friday night ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team registered two straight-set wins Friday ...

It's been over a decade since they last met, but Miami and FIU are set to renew their crosstown ...

The University of Miami cross country team gears up to compete in its third meet of the season this ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a five-year contract extensio ...