Can LeBron James save basketball fans from Kobe?

In the mid-90s, the biggest name in basketball was a player named Penny Hardaway. When Michael Jordan retired for the first time in 1993 the NBA frantically searched for a replacement and found it in Hardaway. The “reign” of Penny as NBA god ranged from action figures to a signature shoe to a miniature sidekick named Lil’ Penny to Tyra Banks.
Shortly after Michael Jordan retired for the second time, the NBA frantically searched again for another replacement and they found it in the Los Angeles Lakers’ Kobe Bryant. Today Kobe Bryant is everywhere from NBA ads to Sprite commercials to jars of Nutella. On first impression, the NBA has made Bryant out to be the greatest thing since sliced bread. The reality is Bryant is driven more by trying to establish a legacy for himself than being a team player and is pathetically arrogant. Although Penny was mired by an injury, his fall from NBA stardom came from the fact he was incapable of leading a team on his own. Ironically, when Hardaway was at the peak of his fame his teammate on the Orlando Magic was none other than the Lakers’ center Shaquille O’Neal.
The NBA expects fans to ignore the fact that the main reason Penny or Kobe have ever been able to exploit their game is because they play with the most dominant player basketball has ever had. The truth is the NBA chooses who you are going to like and who they are going to market to the masses. Shaq isn’t that person, Kobe is. Enter LeBron James.
LeBron James, the high school phenom from Ohio, has never played a single game in the NBA, yet the hype surrounding him makes Kobe look like a benchwarmer. LeBron has a guaranteed player contract, a 25 million dollar shoe deal, and a bundle of endorsements waiting for him. Can anybody say Nutella?
LeBron has Reebok, Nike, and Adidas fighting over him. Kobe no longer has a shoe deal. Here is a reason I give Kobe to fear: his overrated Lakers are no longer the best team in the league and Michael Jordan is retiring for the third time this summer. Sound familiar? Ask Penny. If the Lakers finally meet their demise in this year’s playoffs and Shaq’s unspoken rift with Bryant becomes public like it did with Penny in Orlando, Kobe might just be worth a Penny. Not even Phil Jackson will be able to save this one.
As for the NBA, they will begin to cash in on LeBron and leave Kobe out for the vultures. So, I leave you with this: LeBron James may save us from Kobe Bryant but will he hold up in the long run or will he be yet another victim in the NBA’s quest for unlimited financial gains and the next Michael Jordan? Only time will tell.

Jaafar Choufani is a senior majoring in international finance and marketing. He can be contacted at j.choufani@umiami.edu.

The Miami Hurricanes’ 2020 recruiting class continues to grow. Three-star Deerfield Beach wide recei ...

Chaminade-Madonna in Hollywood has produced some distinguished alums, including ESPN (and Miami Hera ...

Columbus was a popular destination for coaches throughout the first full week of May this spring. On ...

With Mark Walton (cut by Cincinnati) and Kendrick Norton (released by Carolina), the Dolphins have n ...

Perhaps no one but Kellen Winslow II knows for sure when his deep dive began from beloved University ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are transforming weather forecasts by creating a seasonal for ...

Imagine simulating diabetes, lung cancer, or heart disease on a device no larger than a credit card. ...

Alabama’s new abortion law puts the issue of women’s rights in the spotlight for the upcoming 2020 e ...

The University of Miami is shaping the future of education by using innovative approaches that drive ...

Six short films created by University of Miami film students will be screened in Los Angeles this we ...

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team edged No. 77 Paola Diaz-Delg ...

The Bowling Green, Ky., native joins the Hurricanes after spending two seasons at Liberty. ...

Redshirt junior Brian Van Belle will take the mound in Miami's ACC Baseball Championship opener ...

For the 17th year in a row, the Miami women's tennis team ended the season in the top 25 of the ...

The quest for a spot at the 2019 NCAA Outdoor Championships begins Thursday for Miami's track a ...