Campus Calendar

TODAY
If you’re looking for happiness, try stopping by Learning Center 170 at 8 p.m. The Department of Religious Studies of the College of Arts & Sciences and the Society for the Study of Religions and Cultures present Lama Zopa Rinpoche on the topic of “How to Live a Happy Life.” He will explain in simple terms how the very thing we are seeking is never separate from us. Lama Zopa Rinpoche is director of the Foundation for the Preservation of the Mahayana Tradition, a world-wide organization of 135 Tibetan Buddhist centers, schools, hospitals and publishing houses. He is one of the greatest Buddhist masters and one of the first Tibetan Lamas to bring Buddhism to the West. For additional information call Ada Orlando at 305-284-4733.

The Sexual Assault Response Team (SART) hosts the Take Back the Night walking vigil at 7:30 p.m. beginning at the UC Rock. The walk will circle the campus, then return to the Rock for a ceremony including guest speakers, poetry readings by students, music and singing.

International Week: “Around the World in 8 Days” continues with Africa Day from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. The fun continues with Africa Night from 7 to 9 p.m.

Save a life by becoming a blood donor. The Wellness Center is holding a blood drive from 4 to 9 p.m. in the atrium. For more information, call the Wellness Suite at 305-284-5433.

WEDNESDAY APRIL 9

Want to be on TV? Then be sure to attend the taping of a new improvisation comedy show, the Canes of Comedy, to be aired on UMTV and around South Florida. Audience members will not only get to watch eight hilarious UM students perform Whose Line is it Anyway? type scenes, they’ll get to participate! Doors to the Studio Theatre in Hecht open at 8 p.m., but arrive early because seating is limited. Plan to stay about two hours and you could win prizes! For information, contact canesofcomedy@hotmail.com

International Week continues their trip “Around the World in 8 Days” with European Day from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. The festivities continue with European Night from 7 to 9 p.m.

Stanford Residential College would like to welcome students to attend “A Slice of Life” at 8 p.m. in the Master’s Apartment. Come Join Jessica Rios, doctoral student in the School of Education, for a lively evening of activities promoting Cultural Awareness as well as a sampling of delicious desserts from around the world!

THURSDAY APRIL 10
Some Latin flavor comes to International Week with Latin Day from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. and with Latin Night from 7 to 9 p.m.

Scientist and professor of ecology Robin L. Chazdon is the featured speaker at the 2003 Gifford Arboretum and Sigma-Xi Lecture and Art Opening at 7 p.m.at the Cox Science Center Lobby and Lecture Hall. The lecture, titled Tropical Forest Recovery: Legacies of Human Intervention and Natural Disturbances, is free and open to the public. The lecture, preceded by a tour of the Arboretum and followed by a wine and cheese reception from 8 to 9:30 p.m., will be featuring an exhibit of sculptures and paintings on the theme of Regrowth, Renewal and Regeneration. For more information, contact Carol Horvitz at 305-284-5364.

FRIDAY APRIL 11
International Week continues with Caribbean Day from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. The fun continues with a Pacific Night Luau from 7 to 9 p.m. But that’s not all! Don’t miss the Caribbean Night Concert from 10 p.m. to 1 a.m.

SATURDAY APRIL 12
International Week comes to an end with a Feast of Nations. Don’t miss the International Week Banquet at Crowne Plaza Hotel from 7 p.m. to 1 a.m.

MONDAY APRIL 14
Join FEC in celebrating Three Days of Cuban Culture. The days begin with Opening Ceremonies at 11 a.m. on the UC Patio. Come watch a children’s cultural performance. Enjoy Cuban coffee, pictures in traditional costume, music and dancing.

Three Days of Cuban Culture hosts a domino competition at 2 p.m. on the UC Patio. Pay $5 a pair and play against the older generation of domino players from the legendary Calle Ocho park as you sip Cuban coffee. Winners get a prize. Also, pass by and pick up a freshly rolled Cigar as you play.

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

The No. 21 University of Miami and FIU have met twice in football. But, oh, what a history they have ...

When University of Miami star safety Jaquan Johnson, thought by many to be the best player on the te ...

University of Miami backup tailback DeeJay Dallas, who had his first career 100-yard rushing game Sa ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

UM President Julio Frenk will host a town hall meeting Monday with students, faculty, staff, and gue ...

A building at Miami Law is named in honor of Robert Dooley, who donated $1.1 million to support the ...

The use of video game technology helps physicians more accurately diagnose patients suffering from P ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...

The University of Miami women's golf team concluded Sunday with a sixth-place finish at the 35t ...

The University of Miami golf team is in sixth after the first two rounds of play at the 35th annual ...