Sports Briefs

Women’s golf
For the 19th consecutive year, and the 20th in the 33-year history of the tournament, the University of Miami will host the Ryder/Florida Women’s Collegiate Golf Championship, April 4-6, at Don Shula’s Golf Club and Resort in Miami Lakes, FL.
Competition will begin at 7:30 a.m. on Friday and Saturday with Sunday’s final round beginning at 8:00 a.m. Admission is free.
The tournament features the best women’s collegiate golf in Florida, as 14 schools from the state come together for three rounds to determine the state champion.
This season’s championship will feature four teams ranked among the top-86 teams in the nation including defending champion and No. 21 ranked Florida State, 25th-ranked South Florida, No. 73 Miami and No. 86 Florida Atlantic. Rounding out the field are Barry, Bethune-Cookman, Florida International, Florida Southern, Jacksonville, Lynn, Nova Southeastern, Rollins, Stetson and UCF.
Miami, which has won the state title eight times, has been led this season by the duo of junior Camilla Hilland and sophomore Tina Miller.
Hilland, the defending individual champion, has finished in the top-20 in five of six starts this year including a victory at the John Kirk/Lady Panther Invitational during the fall season. She currently ranks 77th in the nation by Golfweek and has a team-best 74.6 stokes per round average.
Miller recorded her first career victory at the UCF Kat Invitational earlier this spring. She has five top-20 finishes this season and ranks second on the team with a 75.5 stoke average.
Other top individuals competing this weekend at the par-72, 6,317-yard course will be last season’s runner-up and 28th-ranked Kristin Tamulis of Florida State and 83rd-ranked Fany Schaeffer from South Florida.

Swimming and Diving
University of Miami diver Miguel Velazquez finished competing in the NCAA Championships Saturday night in Austin, Texas and left with All-American honors for the second year in a row.
The final event for the Gulliver Prep product was the men’s platform dive, in which he finished 10th overall with a score of 434.35.
Velazquez placed fourth-place Friday night in the men’s three-meter dive with a score of 624.95 to earn All-American designation.
“I was pleased particularly in the three-meter where he had his best performance,” coach Randy Ableman said. “He’s getting better and we’re making big plans for next year.”
Thursday, the Miami sophomore finished 17th overall with a score of 283.25 in the one-meter dive.

University of Miami tailback/fullback Trayone Gray, a popular fifth-year senior out of Miami Carol C ...

When Mother’s Day came around back in May, Keontra Smith knew it was time to unveil his college comm ...

University of Miami true freshman quarterback Jarren Williams was not at practice on Tuesday morning ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Monday: ▪ The Hurricanes, who began the offseason with five highly sk ...

There’s no doubt who the starting quarterback is at the University of Miami. As for those other thre ...

Conquer common back to school challenges with an expert's guide for parents and children. ...

Unique camp supports children whose parents have cancer. ...

New study shows that discriminating against workers with tattoos puts hiring managers at a competiti ...

Bill Clinton convenes the second summit of his CGI Action Network on Post-Disaster Recovery at UM. ...

A UM researcher has determined that children exposed to traumatic events exhibit pains that if left ...

Head coach Mark Richt, all 10 assistant coaches and more than 50 players met with the media at the N ...

The Miami Hurricanes were under the lights at Hard Rock Stadium Saturday, closing out the opening we ...

The University of Miami volleyball program reported for training on Tuesday, officially beginning pr ...

Several members of Miami's highly-rated recruiting class have entered fall camp hungry to prove ...

Two University of Miami Track and Field athletes represented their respective countries at the Europ ...