Sports Briefs

Women’s golf
For the 19th consecutive year, and the 20th in the 33-year history of the tournament, the University of Miami will host the Ryder/Florida Women’s Collegiate Golf Championship, April 4-6, at Don Shula’s Golf Club and Resort in Miami Lakes, FL.
Competition will begin at 7:30 a.m. on Friday and Saturday with Sunday’s final round beginning at 8:00 a.m. Admission is free.
The tournament features the best women’s collegiate golf in Florida, as 14 schools from the state come together for three rounds to determine the state champion.
This season’s championship will feature four teams ranked among the top-86 teams in the nation including defending champion and No. 21 ranked Florida State, 25th-ranked South Florida, No. 73 Miami and No. 86 Florida Atlantic. Rounding out the field are Barry, Bethune-Cookman, Florida International, Florida Southern, Jacksonville, Lynn, Nova Southeastern, Rollins, Stetson and UCF.
Miami, which has won the state title eight times, has been led this season by the duo of junior Camilla Hilland and sophomore Tina Miller.
Hilland, the defending individual champion, has finished in the top-20 in five of six starts this year including a victory at the John Kirk/Lady Panther Invitational during the fall season. She currently ranks 77th in the nation by Golfweek and has a team-best 74.6 stokes per round average.
Miller recorded her first career victory at the UCF Kat Invitational earlier this spring. She has five top-20 finishes this season and ranks second on the team with a 75.5 stoke average.
Other top individuals competing this weekend at the par-72, 6,317-yard course will be last season’s runner-up and 28th-ranked Kristin Tamulis of Florida State and 83rd-ranked Fany Schaeffer from South Florida.

Swimming and Diving
University of Miami diver Miguel Velazquez finished competing in the NCAA Championships Saturday night in Austin, Texas and left with All-American honors for the second year in a row.
The final event for the Gulliver Prep product was the men’s platform dive, in which he finished 10th overall with a score of 434.35.
Velazquez placed fourth-place Friday night in the men’s three-meter dive with a score of 624.95 to earn All-American designation.
“I was pleased particularly in the three-meter where he had his best performance,” coach Randy Ableman said. “He’s getting better and we’re making big plans for next year.”
Thursday, the Miami sophomore finished 17th overall with a score of 283.25 in the one-meter dive.

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Monday: ▪ If you ever wondered what the Hurricanes would look like if ...

Demetrius Jackson has come through again for his Overtown neighborhood. For the second year in a row ...

Days after praising Mark Richt, Clemson grad transfer quarterback Kelly Bryant has canceled his Frid ...

Mark Richt kept his word. On Thursday, two days before the Miami Hurricanes defeated Virginia Tech 3 ...

The season is evaporating before our eyes. And nothing made that more obvious than University of Mia ...

Erin Kobetz, director of Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center’s Firefighter Cancer Initiative, disc ...

Kristiana Yao, who graduated summa cum laude in May, said she was “still in shock” after finding out ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team dropped a 75-52 decision Sunday at Iowa State in the P ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team forced No. 10 Pitt to five sets in a thrilling match on Seni ...

University of Miami head golf coach Patti Rizzo announced Thursday the signing of three golfers to N ...