Letter to the Editor

Letter to the Editor:

How could anyone be as blatantly ignorant about condoms, birth control, sex, as Seth Bleicher has demonstrated himself to be, in his Tuesday, April 1st column? The University “gives out condoms” at the Health Center and at the Wellness Center- definitely not at the Canterbury Preschool. He complains that, “It’s a shame condoms are for males.” Well Seth, wake up and smell the latex-they make condoms for women also.
He also says he “think[s]birth control pills are easier.” Since when is taking a pill at the same exact time everyday, getting prescriptions filled, and completely changing the natural hormones of a woman’s body, easier than slipping on a condom? Let’s not forget that birth control pills are not effective protection against the STDs that infect one in every four sexually active people. Birth control also has many dangerous side effects. Unlike Seth’s belief that “at worst, they get cramps and clear skin,” the common side effects birth control pills can cause are vomiting, depression, abnormal bleeding, and weight change.
According to Seth, gyms and nutrition are to help people “look built,” and that “people are willing to waste hundreds of hours and spend thousands of dollars for what will result in a five-second orgasm.” Seth’s measly ambitions in the gym, and apparently in bed, are no reason to cause alarm. Most of us eat healthy foods and work out to stay in shape, for our own personal well-being; if that enhances the time we spend with our partners, I doubt anyone will complain.
Lastly, Seth complains about Victoria’s Secret selling thongs to pre-teens. This comment is so ridiculous that I only have to say that, when Seth’s sex “scientists” find the correlation between underwear preference and sexual behavior, be sure to let me know.
Seth wonders what’s next, “Fruit-flavored, chewable birth control pills shaped in Wilma Flintstone and Betty Rubble?” I think what should be next for Seth is some advice: I hear that wearing those condoms that are so much “work” can reduce sensitivity. Perhaps our minuteman should consider that.

Rachael Henrichsen, Junior

It was maybe coincidence, but positioned just behind his left shoulder as Tyrique Stevenson spoke ab ...

The Miami Hurricanes unveiled a new turnover chain this season, replacing the bedazzled “U” that han ...

Before now, the last time the Miami Hurricanes scored 21 or fewer points in four consecutive games w ...

Keontra Smith waited a long time for the Miami Hurricnaes to finally offer him. The defensive back g ...

University of Miami true freshman running back Cam’ron Davis, known as Cam for short, is about to lo ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...

The Canes hit the road for the final time in the 2018 regular season and it is to a familiar and hos ...

The Canes top the Golden Eagles to move onto the WNIT Championship game. ...

Miami wraps up its season-opening homestand with a 2 p.m. Saturday matchup against Bethune-Cookman a ...

University of Miami head golf coach Patti Rizzo announced Thursday the signing of three golfers to N ...