Un-stung Heroes

Hurricanes take all three games against No. 2 Georgia Tech
A Sunday game being threatened by weather has become a common scenario this season at Mark Light Stadium. This Sunday was no exception as the Hurricanes closed out a three game series against the Georgia Tech with a 17-16 rain shortened victory to complete the sweep of the Yellow Jackets.
“We have a radar in the locker room and we thought it was going to pour.” Hurricane head coach Jim Morris said. “It really changes the way the game is played when there is a threat of rain.”
As far as rankings go, this was a very important series for Miami. The three wins against Georgia Tech should help the ‘Canes charge into the top ten in most national polls.
“I’m really proud of our guys,” UM head coach Jim Morris said. “It was a tough day to pitch and play defense and you just have to keep battling through it and our guys did that today.”
For the second straight day the Hurricane offense was able to knock out the Georgia Tech starter after 1.2 innings. Both Georgia Tech pitchers, Andrew Kown on Saturday and Brian Burks on Sunday came into the game with earned run averages under three.
The two teams slugged it out all weekend long tallying up a combined score of 37-30 in 26 innings of baseball.
UM starter Brandon Camardese encountered a rough second inning in which Georgia Tech scored nine runs, but he was let off the hook when UM would take the lead in the third inning by putting up a seven spot of their own. Shawn Valdes-Fauli picked up the win in relief for Miami.
“We could have given up early in this game,” Morris said. “We hung in there and kept battling back and battling back.”
UM came back in a huge way in the bottom of the third inning. Ryan Braun, Gabby Sanchez and Jim Burt all hit bombs for the ‘Canes as they led 14-12 at the conclusion of the inning.
“I knew the home run was gone,” Burt said. “I didn’t know if it was going to be fair or foul.”
On Saturday night, the ‘Canes clinched the series victory with a 13-8 victory over Georgia Tech. It was the second straight day in which Miami jumped all over a very strong Yellow Jacket pitching staff. Georgia Tech starter Andrew Kown was chased after just 1.2 innings pitched.
UM starter Vince Bongiovanni put forth one of his best efforts of the season despite a rough first inning. Bongiovanni threw six innings giving up four earned runs and six hits while striking out eight and walking three.
Paco Figueroa delivered the big offensive blow for the Hurricanes going 1-3 with 3 RBI and a run scored.
UM left fielder Richard Giannotti continued his offensive tear going 2-3 with 2 RBI. After being hit by a pitch in the left knee on Wednesday night against Harvard, Giannotti was doubtful for the series.
On Friday night the ‘Canes opened the series by coming back from being down by two runs in the eighth inning to come back to win 7-6. Ryan Braun delivered the go ahead runs to put the ‘Canes up for good. Braun hit the ball well all weekend long and had this to say after Saturday’s game.
“It is fortunate for me because it seems like every time I get up there are two or three guys always on base for me,” Braun said. “It is really important for us to get these wins against a high ranking team like Georgia Tech.”
The Hurricanes will next take on the Owls of Florida Atlantic University at 7pm on Wednesday night at Mark Light Stadium.

Ryan Ellis can be reached at msgnyc@yahoo.com

University of Miami tailback/fullback Trayone Gray, a popular fifth-year senior out of Miami Carol C ...

When Mother’s Day came around back in May, Keontra Smith knew it was time to unveil his college comm ...

University of Miami true freshman quarterback Jarren Williams was not at practice on Tuesday morning ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Monday: ▪ The Hurricanes, who began the offseason with five highly sk ...

There’s no doubt who the starting quarterback is at the University of Miami. As for those other thre ...

Conquer common back to school challenges with an expert's guide for parents and children. ...

Unique camp supports children whose parents have cancer. ...

New study shows that discriminating against workers with tattoos puts hiring managers at a competiti ...

Bill Clinton convenes the second summit of his CGI Action Network on Post-Disaster Recovery at UM. ...

A UM researcher has determined that children exposed to traumatic events exhibit pains that if left ...

Head coach Mark Richt, all 10 assistant coaches and more than 50 players met with the media at the N ...

The Miami Hurricanes were under the lights at Hard Rock Stadium Saturday, closing out the opening we ...

The University of Miami volleyball program reported for training on Tuesday, officially beginning pr ...

Several members of Miami's highly-rated recruiting class have entered fall camp hungry to prove ...

Two University of Miami Track and Field athletes represented their respective countries at the Europ ...