Qualifying for tourney

The University of Miami qualified two relays and six individuals for the NCAA Regional Championships, and set school-records in the 4×100-meter relay, 4×400-meter relay, shuttle hurdle relay and the hammer throw at the Florida Relays in Gainesville, FL.
The shuttle hurdle relay of freshman All-American Dominique Darden, senior All-American Sharianne Lawson, senior All-American Jamillah Wade and sophomore Amber Williams won with a school-record time of 53.87 seconds. The winning time broke the old UM record set nearly seven years ago.
Darden and Lawson were also members of the 4×100-meter relay along with freshman All-American Charlette Greggs and sophomore All-American Lauryn Williams that finished second with a school-record time of 43.96 seconds. The time qualifies the relay for the NCAA Regional Championship, May 30-31, in Fairfax, VA.
Also setting a school-record and qualifying for the NCAA Regional Championship was the 4×400-meter relay of senior All-American Sashanie Simpson, Greggs, Wade, and junior All-American Kitoya Carter which finished second with a time of 3:30.74. The foursome shattered the old UM record by nearly two seconds.
In addition to the relays the Hurricanes qualified six individuals for the NCAA Regional championships.
The Hurricanes had four runners qualify for the NCAA Regional Championships in the 400-meters with Sashanie Simpson, Saraque Whittaker, Wiande Moore and Kitoya Carter all registered regional qualifying marks.
In addition, Jamillah Wade qualified in the 400-hurdles while Sharianne Lawson qualified in the 100-meters hurdles.
In other action the 4×800-meter relay of senior Terria Madison, senior All-American Saraque Whittaker, freshman Zully Marie Pascual and senior All-American Patricia Pearson finished second with a time 8:49.89.
The weekend was also highlighted by the performance of senior Megan Cobb in the hammer throw. Cobb broke her own school-record for the second consecutive week with a toss of 48.76 meters (160-00). With her throw Cobb becomes the first women’s thrower in school-history to reach the 160-foot plateau.
In the women’s shot put invitational, senior Adrienne Moss finished seventh with a personal best throw of 15.23 meters (49-11.75). Her throw is the second best in UM history.
Meanwhile, the men’s track and field team had four athletes record Big East qualifying marks during the second day of competition at the Florida Relays in Gainesville, FL.
Junior Aaron Bass recorded a mark of 4.58 meters (15-00.25) in the pole vault to qualify for the Big East Outdoor Track and Field Championships, May 2-4, in Storrs, CT. Bass has now qualified for the Big East Championships every season during his Hurricane career.
Senior Dan Boniface finished fourth in the 3,000-meter steeplechase with a Big East qualifying mark of 9:25.26, while senior Kenneth Frank qualified in the 110-meter hurdles with a time of 15.11 seconds.
Junior Russell Landy recorded a Big East qualifying mark in the decathlon posting a score of 5601 points.
In other action freshman Alex Brutvan finished 11th in the 5,000-meters with a time of 15:11.37. In addition, freshman James Mullaly finished 36th in the 1,500-meters (4:05.70) while sophomore James Ballard finished 50th in the 400-meters (50.70).

-Compiled by the sports information department

The University of Miami spring game will not be televised or streamed live on the Internet at noon S ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Who were UM’s standouts this spring, heading into Sa ...

As the Miami Hurricanes have spent the spring trying to find answers to question after question on o ...

Navaughn Donaldson knew one thing mattered above all when he was forced to start playing center ahea ...

This spring hasn’t been easy for Miami redshirt sophomore Tate Martell, the former Ohio State quarte ...

The Division of Student Affairs hosted a reception to present campus-wide awards and scholarships to ...

The University of Miami celebrates Earth Day with a host of activities at or near the Lakeside Patio ...

The nation’s oldest and most-widely known academic honor society inducted 45 students from the Colle ...

For the second installment of its “What Matters to U” lecture series, Student Government invited act ...

There is at least one member of House Hurricane in the Seven Kingdoms: alumnus David Nutter, who sha ...

Following a 4-1 victory over No. 13-seed Virginia Tech Thursday in its ACC Championship opener, the ...

The fifth-seeded Miami women's tennis team started ACC Championship competition with a 4-1 vict ...

The Hurricanes will battle fourth-seed NC State in the quarterfinals Friday at 9 a.m. ...

The Canes made a late charge, but fell short at No. 8 Louisville 7-5 ...

Because of expected inclement weather, Thursday's game time has been moved up one hour to 5 p.m ...