Culture

News Briefs

Hip hop producer and DJ Prince Paul is finally emerging from obscurity: his new album, Politics of the Business, hits stores on May 6 and the lineup of guests looks juicy (Fatlip, MF Doom, Masta Ace, DJ Premier, the Beatnuts and Planet Asia, among others). Supposedly, dude is parodying hip hop and describes the LP as “fast food music,” but, honestly, ya’ll can’t sleep on everything this guy’s done in the past with De La Soul and Stetsasonic, so show some respect.

If any of you are interested in the sexual experimentation (and myths) that flooded through the ’60s and ’70s, cop the new memoir by Kathy Dobie, The Only Girl in the Car, exploring the recklessness and ambiguity of teenage sex. The story focuses on a year in high school during the days of Jimi Hendrix and flower power when the author was a self-ascribed “slut” and was trapped into having an orgy with four guys when she was 15.

One Love, a flick that’s the Jamaican version of Shakespeare’s Romeo and Juliet, is currently in post-production and set to hit the screens in 2004. Ky-Mani Marley, son of reggae legend Bob Marley, plays the lead role and also cameod in 2001’s Shottas, a film about the country’s underworld. We don’t know what to anticipate from One Love, except that the title is clich

With the acquisition of the new instrument and an accompanying nanoindenter, studies at the College of Engineering are entering a new and advanced era of materials characterization. ...

University of Miami researchers applaud the scientific inquiry and access to reliable data that accompanies the legalization of cannabis—as four more states recently approved measures, and federal legislation to decriminalize it continues to progress. ...

The prestigious Pan American Art Projects Gallery will donate 25 percent of a virtual, live event to the University Libraries’ parcel. ...

Members of the University of Miami community share their ideas on how to persevere during the pandemic. ...

University and celebrity musicians will participate in a benefit concert on Thanksgiving Day to support the nonprofit organization Nurse Heroes Foundation. ...