Ghettos as a product of our upside-down society

“You have to drive down Grand Avenue just to make it out alive.”
“What-did you lock your doors?”
Statements such as these make me realize that people on this campus need to arise from their sheltered lives and see the world for what it really is.
A group of friends was discussing how “treacherous” the streets of Miami were because the city has unpleasant areas like Overtown and Grand Avenue. A girl freaked out because she got lost in Overtown one night-and I probably would too, but I’m not about to criticize the “ghetto” for being there in the first place.
Miami, and especially UM, is about vroom, vroom, bling-bling-sexy cars, sexy people, and sexy mint green-and lots of it. But, as with any city, the “bling-bling” is never enough to hide the realities of the world. There are still those unpleasant neighborhoods referred to as “ghettos” where you don’t want to be caught anytime of the day, especially if you don’t look like you belong there.
I was fortunate enough to catch a harsh glimpse of reality during a ride down Grand Avenue to Coconut Grove-my very first encounter with a “ghetto” in the tropical paradise of Miami. Suddenly the reality of the world brought me back down to earth and back into reality. It not only made me realize my fortunate life as a student, but also made me realize that just because you isolate yourself from unpleasant places does not make them disappear. As wonderful as Miami is, ghettos still exist, and perhaps more painfully so as the latest cars peal away to their condos or multi-million dollar mansions.
Many people on campus need realize that bad neighborhoods didn’t just “get there”-and that if anything, we have all contributed to their existence by not dedicating quality time for improvements by petitioning for better living conditions, better schools and community programs, etc.
Simply flooring the gas, locking your doors, or running red lights will make for a speedy getaway, but the ignorance of the situation only increases the chances that you might have to do so more often.
Sorry those ghettos are not the suburbs, but sadly, they are the real world.

Marquita K. Bell is a sophomore majoring in print journalism and political science. She can be contacted at m_bell01@hotmail.com.

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larranaga, awaiting word from the NCAA on the appeal to rei ...

The Hurricanes officially welcomed ballyhooed new quarterback Tate Martell on campus Friday, and he’ ...

Before Jess Simpson’s final playoff run as the coach of Buford fell short in a Georgia state champio ...

The Miami Hurricanes football coaching staff is officially complete. UM announced Friday that Taylor ...

The Marlins — along with a handful of other teams — haven’t signed a single player from another team ...

The University of Miami brings together leaders in academia, professional practice, and industry to ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

"We're excited to welcome these coaches to the Miami family," Diaz said. ...

Canes have won six of last 10 meetings with UNC. ...

Check out the January edition of the University of Miami's e-magazine. ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team improved to 2-0 on the young season after securing a ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team will play its first doubleheader of the season Saturday in ...