Candace Bushnell brings Sex to campus

Author who inspired ‘Sex and the City’ chats up new novel
Hurricane Productions brought Candace Bushnell, author of several books that inspired the HBO series Sex and the City, to UM to talk about and sign copies of her recent novel, Trading Up.
Bushnell started by dispelling stereotypes that have been frequently associated with Sex and the City.
“Sex and the City is not a high class porn, because they do a lot more than have sex,” Bushnell said. “They eat and sleep too, which they never do in porn.”
During her presentation, Bushnell explained some of the socio-cultural trends that have inspired all of her works. For example, Bushnell says she has noticed men hitting on women just because they were models and wouldn’t even speak to those who weren’t, even if they were more attractive than the models.
Bushnell says her new novel was written with similar situations in mind.
“The book explains in subtle little ways that women act that men don’t notice,” Bushnell said. “Girls sleep with men to get gifts and such, even intelligent respectable women.”
Many of her fans appreciate Bushnell’s honesty and frank way of writing.
“I like the show because all of the things that happen are so true and it’s funny,” Julie Castelli, freshman, said.
In fact, Bushnell says that a man once approached her and said, “You are the only one that depicts women as being as bad as men.”
“There is nothing fake about neither the book nor the show; all the characters are as crazy as my friends if not milder,” Bushnell said.
Students present enjoyed the event and appreciate the efforts of Hurricane Productions to get the writer on campus.
“The presentation was very interesting and entertaining,” Meera Bhutta, senior, said. “Hurricane Productions should do more events like this one.”
According to Bushnell, the upcoming season of Sex and the City will be the last, primarily because the actors are growing out of the age group that was originally meant for the characters.
“I’ll probably end the show by having them all get married,” Bushnell said.

Abhishek Shah can be contacted at ablashek@hotmail.com.

The Gino DiMare era for the Miami Hurricanes couldn’t have started any better. In DiMare’s first gam ...

One thing was obvious to Wayne Younger the first time he got his hands on Ladarius Tennison: The ath ...

Though it’s early, UM already has assembled an outstanding nine-member 2020 recruiting class, a grou ...

Three days before they open their season against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, the Miami Hurricanes h ...

The first half of Wednesday night’s game was as lousy as the weather outside the Watsco Center, as t ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The Shelley family shares their story of four generations at the University of Miami. ...

The Canes open the 75th season in program history and first under the direction of head coach Gino D ...

Game time is 6 p.m. in Chestnut Hill, Mass. ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team will play its second top-five foe in a span of three g ...

The University of Miami golf team heads to the Big Easy to open competition Sunday at the 2019 Allst ...

Beatrice Mompremier of the Miami women's basketball team is a Lisa Leslie Center of the Year Aw ...