Sports Briefs

Rowing
The University of Miami women’s varsity eight, varsity four and novice four won six of eight head-to-head races against the University of Connecticut in the first rowing contest of the spring season Saturday morning at Indian Creek , Miami Beach, Fla.
“This was certainly an exciting kick-off to our spring racing season,” said coach Debra Morgan. “Our coxswains did an excellent job leading our crews to a number of well rowed victories. We look forward to the Florida State Championships and San Diego Crew Classic. We had some extra volunteers at the finish line; the dolphins were out in force! We are certainly lucky to row here.”
The Hurricanes return to action April 4 at the Florida State Championships, Tampa Fla. and April 4-5 San Diego Crew Classic (V8 only), San Diego, Calf.

Women’s Golf
University of Miami sophomore Tina Miller fired a final round 72 to finish second at the Waterlefe/USF Invitational at Waterlefe Golf Club in Bradenton, Fla.
Miller, who posted a three-round total of 218 (74-72-72), finished one stroke behind tournament champion Drae Ward of TCU who finished with a three round total of 217 (76-70-71).
Miami junior Camilla Hilland also finished in the top-10 posting a score of 225 (78-72-75).
As a team the Hurricanes finished tied for ninth with a three-round total of 939 (317-315-307). TCU won the team total with a score of 898 (307-292-299). Host South Florida finished second (302-311-294-907) with Penn State finishing third (307-308-297-912).
Miami returns to action March 22-24 at the Stetson Invitational in DeLand, FL.

Women’s Volleyball
The University of Miami volleyball team will be competing in a number of tournaments throughout Florida this spring including those hosted by South Florida, the University of Florida, and one on the Coral Gables campus as they prepare to build on what they accomplished in 2002-2003.
Saturday, March 22, the Hurricanes will travel to Florida and compete against teams from throughout the country. UM will play host Florida at 9 a.m.; Wisconsin at 10:15 a.m.; and Louisville at 1:15 p.m. All matches will be held in the Lemerand Center.
Saturday, March 29, UM will visit South Florida. The Hurricanes will play USF at 8 a.m., Central Florida at 9:30 a.m., and Northwestern at 11 a.m.
UM will host its own tournament Saturday, April 5. The Hurricanes’ own tournament will include challenging teams from Barry, Miami-Dade Community College, Tulane, Florida International, and Florida Atlantic.

At their best, they are UM’s most dynamic players on each side of the ball. But the Ahmmon Richards ...

A day after practicing in the Carol Soffer Football Indoor Practice Facility for the first time in s ...

It appears that at least one LSU receiver won’t be available at the University of Miami football ope ...

After the Miami Hurricanes football team spent part of its practice on Monday in a torrential downpo ...

Nothing like a comic book cover on steroids to get University of Miami and LSU football fans juiced ...

Intergroup Dialogue, soon to be offered as a course, fosters a sense of belonging, an appreciation f ...

Aretha Franklin and her music defined “what is soul” to generations of music lovers. ...

The University of Miami kicked into high gear to welcome thousands of new students and ensure move-i ...

UM President Julio Frenk welcomes first-year and transfer students to UM in signature ’Cane Kickoff ...

Miami Law conducts its inaugural Legal Impact Hack for first-year students. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team won its exhibition match over FIU, 3-0, Saturday at the Knig ...

Coming off a road win in its season opener, the University of Miami soccer team will welcome crossto ...

In head coach Sarah Barnes' debut at the helm, the University of Miami soccer team won its seas ...

The Hurricanes practiced in the Carol Soffer Indoor Practice Facility for the first time ever on Fri ...

Malik Rosier, Travis Homer and Ahmmon Richards are key returning playmakers, but they are just the b ...