Rebuilding year ends for UM debate team

Last weekend’s varsity nationals at Arizona State University marked the end of the tournament season for the debate team. Although the team did not make it to quarter finals, debate coaches Matt Grindy and Nicole Coleston were happy with the performance.
“Everyone has worked so hard this year, and they have become addicted to debating,” Grindy said.
According to debate team members, the current team was comprised of mainly new members who had never debated in the past.
“I was looking for an extracurricular activity that I could put a lot into and get just as much or more in return, and I feel that I have gotten that from debate,” Tiffany Yelder, freshman, said.
On average, per week, a debater puts in four hours of group research and practice drills and ten hours of individual preparation.
“What made us successful this year is that we are unified and there are no weaknesses that our team can not overcome together,” Skylar Zwick, debater, said.
Although the competitive season is over for this year, the team will continue to improve their skills throughout this year and over the summer.
Currently, the team is preparing a traveling debate show for local high schools.
This summer, they will be hosting a debate camp for high school students from June 16-27. Debaters will assist high school students in researching and compiling evidence as well as in helping them develop debating techniques.
With one year of experience behind them, the novice and junior varsity debate teams look forward to a successful season next year.
“We feel that we will be a regional powerhouse that will dominate the field,” Coleston said.
For more information on the debate team, contact David Steinberg, faculty advisor, at 305-284-1786.

Erin Wright can be contacted at ewright@ umsis.miami.edu.

Nothing like a comic book cover on steroids to get University of Miami and LSU football fans juiced ...

They are two big bodies with experience, but new to the University of Miami. And the Miami Hurricane ...

Freshman quarterback Jarren Williams, who returned to practice Wednesday after missing most of Tuesd ...

Corey Gaynor is working hard to solidify his spot as backup center to UM senior standout Tyler Gauth ...

Former University of Miami football and NFL star player Jonathan Vilma made a splash in South Florid ...

Miami Law conducts its inaugural Legal Impact Hack for first-year students. ...

Conquer common back to school challenges with an expert's guide for parents and children. ...

Unique camp supports children whose parents have cancer. ...

New study shows that discriminating against workers with tattoos puts hiring managers at a competiti ...

Bill Clinton convenes the second summit of his CGI Action Network on Post-Disaster Recovery at UM. ...

Miami redshirt senior quarterback Malik Rosier was named to the preseason watch list for the Manning ...

The University of Miami's volleyball team returns to the Knight Sports Complex on Saturday at 3 ...

The University of Miami soccer team will travel to Boca Raton, Fla., Friday night as the team kicks ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews revealed Thursday the team's schedule ...

The Canes defense is full of big names like Shaq Quarterman and Jaquan Johnson, but these players ha ...