Rebuilding year ends for UM debate team

Last weekend’s varsity nationals at Arizona State University marked the end of the tournament season for the debate team. Although the team did not make it to quarter finals, debate coaches Matt Grindy and Nicole Coleston were happy with the performance.
“Everyone has worked so hard this year, and they have become addicted to debating,” Grindy said.
According to debate team members, the current team was comprised of mainly new members who had never debated in the past.
“I was looking for an extracurricular activity that I could put a lot into and get just as much or more in return, and I feel that I have gotten that from debate,” Tiffany Yelder, freshman, said.
On average, per week, a debater puts in four hours of group research and practice drills and ten hours of individual preparation.
“What made us successful this year is that we are unified and there are no weaknesses that our team can not overcome together,” Skylar Zwick, debater, said.
Although the competitive season is over for this year, the team will continue to improve their skills throughout this year and over the summer.
Currently, the team is preparing a traveling debate show for local high schools.
This summer, they will be hosting a debate camp for high school students from June 16-27. Debaters will assist high school students in researching and compiling evidence as well as in helping them develop debating techniques.
With one year of experience behind them, the novice and junior varsity debate teams look forward to a successful season next year.
“We feel that we will be a regional powerhouse that will dominate the field,” Coleston said.
For more information on the debate team, contact David Steinberg, faculty advisor, at 305-284-1786.

Erin Wright can be contacted at ewright@ umsis.miami.edu.

Keontra Smith waited a long time for the Miami Hurricnaes to finally offer him. The defensive back g ...

University of Miami true freshman running back Cam’ron Davis, known as Cam for short, is about to lo ...

It’s impossible for the Miami Hurricanes to ignore all the negative feedback which comes along with ...

The Pittsburgh Panthers’ win against the Virginia Tech Hokies was, for all intents and purposes, alr ...

University of Miami athletic director Blake James has no intention of pressuring or forcing coach Ma ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

UM Professor of Law Frances R. Hill tells us what we should know. ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

An international study led by University of Miami tropical biologists reveals that tropical trees ar ...

The Canes top the Golden Eagles to move onto the WNIT Championship game. ...

The Canes know the importance a win over Virginia Tech on Saturday can have heading into the final w ...

The University of Miami women's golf team announced Thursday that international amateur standou ...

N'Kosi Perry wants to build off his showing at Georgia Tech with another strong performance thi ...

Tournament runs Nov. 21-24, 2019, in Charleston, S.C. ...