Extra innings are Miami’s best friends yet again

The Hurricanes had their final tune-up against Harvard this Wednesday in front of 1,758 fans at the Homestead Challenge.
With the bases loaded and one out, Miami junior Jim Burt hit a walk off single to give the Hurricanes a 10-9 victory in the bottom of the tenth inning. With the win, the ‘Canes move to 20-4 on the season while the Crimson drop to 3-7.
“He threw me a changeup and I just sat back on it,” Burt said.
A myriad of UM pitchers combined to hold off the Harvard Crimson with George Huguet throwing two innings to get the win, moving him to 2-0 on the season.
Combining flawless defense and timely hitting, Harvard kept themselves in the game until Burt’s heroics in the tenth.
“It wasn’t pretty but we came out here and got the win,” head coach Jim Morris said. “We have played Harvard a lot of times since I have been here and they have always come out ready to play.”
UM starter Brandon Camardese pitched a pre-determined two innings before departing in favor of a shaky Hurricane bullpen.
“We had some troubles with our pitching, but George came in and buckled down in the end,” Morris said.
Every time Harvard took the lead in the contest, Miami was able to immediately respond. Led by designated hitter Ryan Braun who had three RBI’s on the night, Miami worked around a thin pitching staff and simply pounded out the victory with offense.
Miami shortstop Alex Blanco continues to shine since being named the team’s starting shortstop. Wednesday night, the sophomore, who has also pitched out of the UM bullpen, went 4 -4 with three runs scored. The four hits were a career high for Blanco.
“I just contribute to the team in any way I can,” Blanco said. “I’m learning a lot as a hitter from my pitching and I am also learning a lot about my pitching from hitting so it’s working out for me on both sides of the ball.”
A moment of concern for the ‘Canes when left fielder Richard Giannotti was hit by a pitch on the inside of his left knee in the bottom of the third inning. Although Giannotti stayed in the game momentarily, the sophomore’s prognosis doesn’t look good for the immediate future, according to Morris.
“Richard was walking around better after the game,” Morris said. “I’d say he is doubtful for Friday at best.”
After five games against inferior completion, the ‘Canes embark on a huge series against No. 2 Georgia Tech, beginning with tonight’s 7 P.M. contest. Morris is quick to point out the importance in playing well against the Yellow Jackets.
“Georgia Tech is going to be a huge series for us,” Morris said. “Any time you have a team that is ranked in the top five you have to beat them to get recognized nationally.”

Ryan Ellis can be reached at msgnyc@yahoo.com.

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

The 1983 national champions will be back on campus to celebrate the 35thanniversary of Miami's ...

The University of Miami volleyball program begins ACC play on Friday night against Wake Forest at 7 ...

Head coach Katie Meier announced Wednesday the ninth annual Miami Women's Basketball Fantasy Ca ...

The yearly Miami Fall Invite will take place Friday through Sunday at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center, ...

Through three games, Miami is No. 1 in the country in tackles for loss and the entire Hurricanes def ...