Sports Briefs

Women’s track and field
The University of Miami women’s track and field team opened the 2003 outdoor season recording four victories, qualifying eight for the NCAA Regional Championships and breaking two school records at the Hurricane Invitational at Cobb Stadium in Coral Gables, FL.
Junior Jennifer Penrose won the shot put with a school-record and NCAA Regional qualifying mark of 15.79 meters (51-09.75). Penrose, the 2001 Big East Champion, surpassed her own school-record by more than two feet.
Senior Adrienne Moss finished second in the shot put and also qualified for the NCAA Regionals with a toss of 15.08 meters (49-05.75).
All-American Charlette Greggs led a 1-2 Hurricane finish in the 200-meters posting an NCAA Regional qualifying time of 23.19 seconds. Senior All-American Sashanie Simpson finished second with an NCAA Regional qualifying mark of 23.69 seconds.
Simpson later joined senior All-American Patricia Pearson, sophomore Wiande Moore and senior All-America Saraque Whittaker in winning the 4×400-meter relay. Their winning time of 3:39.36 qualifies them for the NCAA Regional Championships.
Senior All-American Gina Harris won the long jump with a leap of 5.87 meters (19-03.25), while senior Megan Cobb broke the school-record in the hammer throw with a mark of 48.48 meters (159-01.00).
Other Hurricanes qualifying for NCAA Regionals include freshman India Ransom in the 100-meters, sophomore Amber Williams in the 100-meter hurdles and the 4×100-meter relay.
Miami returns to action at the Florida Relays, March 27-29, in Gainesville, FL.

Men’s Track and Field
University of Miami junior Kenneth Frank qualified for the Big East Outdoor championships recording a time of 14.90 in the 110-meter hurdles at the Hurricane Invitational in Coral Gables, FL.
The Hurricanes also received strong performances from freshman Alex Brutvan and senior Dan Boniface in the 3,000-meters. Brutvan finished third with a time of 8:46.65 while Boniface finished fourth with a time of 8:52.68.

Swimming and Diving
The University of Miami swimming and diving team completed the final day of NCAA Championships Saturday night at Auburn University in Alabama.
Junior Manon Van Rooijen was the sole competitor for the Hurricanes. The Dutch Olympian swam in the 100-yard freestyle and finished 13th overall in the consolation final with a time of 49.82.
“(Van Rooijen’s) first swim was decent, she looked a lot better than she did (during the previous day’s swim),” coach James Sweeney said. “She definitely finished better than before.”
Van Rooijen holds both the University of Miami and Big East Championship record in the 100 free as well as the 200 free.
Her top time in the 100 free is 49.11.
Sweeney noted that due to the difficulty of qualifying for NCAA’s, it is rare that a swimmer performs better in the actual championships.

– Courtesy of the sports information department.

A University of Miami political scientist weighs in on whether election polls can be trusted given what occurred in 2016 and again last year. ...

A professor in the School of Communication, and an expert on the history of television sitcoms, writes about the 50th anniversary of “All in the Family.” ...

The former executive vice president and provost served from 1986 to 2005, elevating the University’s stature as a leading research institution. ...

The Hemispheric University Consortium is connecting universities and students for critical conversations focused on solving some of the world’s most pressing problems, such as climate change. ...

Experts say creativity and kindness can help make the most of this challenging holiday season. ...