Mother nature gets in the way of UM sweep

UM bats too much for Eagles
Hurricanes outscore Boston College 35-13 in series
For the second time in as many weekends, the University of Miami baseball team had its three game weekend series shortened to two on account of rain. Miami was scheduled to play Boston College on Sunday afternoon when a torrential downpour left much of Mark Light Field under water.
The teams waited for about an hour before calling the game when it was determined that field condition and Boston College travel plans would not allow the teams to fit in the final game of the series.
The ‘Canes were looking for a three game sweep of the Eagles after winning Friday night’s game and dominating Saturday night’s game 17-5 in front of 2,402 fans at Mark Light Stadium.
Saturday, Miami improved to 19-4 on the season after a balanced team effort.
Miami starting pitcher Vince Bongiovanni recorded his fourth win of the season going 5.1 innings, giving up six hits and three earned runs while striking out six and walking four.
“I thought it was a good game for us,” head coach Jim Morris said. “First of all we played good defense and (Vince) Bongiovanni threw well. We swung the bat well and a lot of guys got hits. I thought it was a complete team effort.”
Bongiovanni had all the run support he needed as the Hurricanes tallied a 13-run cushion before the Miami sophomore was chased in the top of the sixth. Prior to his exit, Bongiovanni had thrown five innings of shutout baseball.
The Hurricane offense was led by sophomore Richard Giannotti who has been on a tear lately since returning from a shoulder injury. Giannotti was a triple short of the cycle as he went 3-3 on the day, while driving in four runs and scoring two.
In addition to Giannotti’s offensive barrage, second baseman Adam Ricks and outfielder Brian Barton each had two RBIs. Ricks and Barton both transferred to UM from California schools with the intent to put up big numbers as Hurricane starters this season. The ‘Canes relied on a full team effort that included eight other players driving in a run.
The Hurricanes never allowed the Eagles to get close and helped their cause by not committing an error.
The ‘Canes were not as dominant Friday night but with the help of some Boston College miscues and one big inning, Miami exploded for an 18-8 win in front of 2,117 fans at the Light.
Three Miami errors helped keep the Eagles close at 9-8 until the Hurricanes broke open the game with a nine run, five hit eight inning to take an 18-8 lead. Boston College pitching imploded during the inning, aiding the UM assault by issuing two walks and hitting three batsmen.
“I thought we looked good, swung well and put up a bunch of runs,” Morris said. “And number one we got a win. Our guys got it done when it counted.”
‘Canes third baseman Gaby Sanchez led the offense going 4-5 with three RBIs.
Hurricane relief pitcher Marcelo Albir picked up his first win as a Hurricane with the victory.
After going 4-0 this week, Miami now travels to Homestead tomorrow night to take on Harvard before coming back to Mark Light Stadium for a three game series against the second ranked Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets.

Ryan Ellis can be reached at msgnyc@yahoo.com.

It was maybe coincidence, but positioned just behind his left shoulder as Tyrique Stevenson spoke ab ...

The Miami Hurricanes unveiled a new turnover chain this season, replacing the bedazzled “U” that han ...

Before now, the last time the Miami Hurricanes scored 21 or fewer points in four consecutive games w ...

Keontra Smith waited a long time for the Miami Hurricnaes to finally offer him. The defensive back g ...

University of Miami true freshman running back Cam’ron Davis, known as Cam for short, is about to lo ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

UM Professor of Law Frances R. Hill tells us what we should know. ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...

The Canes hit the road for the final time in the 2018 regular season and it is to a familiar and hos ...

The Canes top the Golden Eagles to move onto the WNIT Championship game. ...

Miami wraps up its season-opening homestand with a 2 p.m. Saturday matchup against Bethune-Cookman a ...

University of Miami head golf coach Patti Rizzo announced Thursday the signing of three golfers to N ...