Men’s tennis overcomes injury

An injured Hurricane men’s tennis team refused to be stopped by unranked Dartmouth, defeating the Ivy League school 5-2 Friday.
The ‘Canes won the match despite being without No. 1 singles player Todd Widom, who sat out after being hospitalized for an unknown viral infection in his throat.
Sophomore Zachary Hood and freshman Tim Krebs returned on Friday after being unable to play for months.
The Hurricanes struggled early on in doubles play, losing two of the three matches. However, when the singles matches began, the momentum swung in the direction of the Hurricanes, who won five of six matches to earn the victory.
“As a team they played well, sub-par in doubles, but they came back in singles and got a win,” assistant coach Ari Widlansky said.
In a fast paced match, UM senior Andrew Golub and freshman Colin Purcell defeated Neal Bobba and Drew Dinkmeyer 8-4 in No. 1 doubles. Hood and freshman Shauny Hoyes lost to David Webb and Andre Reyes 8-0.
Despite the loss, Hood was satisfied just to return to the court.
“There were no expectations,” Hood said. “I just went out to see what I could do.”
The third doubles team also suffered a loss as Jesse Daer and Borko Kereshi defeated junior Luis Manrique and freshman Eric Hecthman.
In No. 1 singles Golub beat Bobba in straight sets, 6-2 6-0 while Hecthman defeated Webb 6-3, 6-4 in No. 2 singles.
No. 3 Luis Manrique had a closer match with Drew Dinkmeyer. After winning the first set 6-2, Dinkmeyer came back and won the second set 6-1. But Manrique was able to hold off Dinkmeyer in the third set to win 6-4 and take the match.
Purcell, the fourth ranked singles player, defeated Kereshi in straight sets.
Hoyes had an easier match by only giving up two games in defeating Andre Reyes 6-2, 6-0.
The final singles match resulted in Miami’s only loss as Krebs had to retire in the third set.
The Hurricanes were scheduled to take on No. 33 Tennessee at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center, but that event became one of several canceled at the University due to heavy rains.
The stretch without Widom will likely continue through Sunday’s match against Notre Dame, but Golub isn’t worried about overcoming adversity.
“We are 3-0 without Todd Widom,” Golub said. “We have a chance but we need to step it up.”

Nothing like a comic book cover on steroids to get University of Miami and LSU football fans juiced ...

They are two big bodies with experience, but new to the University of Miami. And the Miami Hurricane ...

Freshman quarterback Jarren Williams, who returned to practice Wednesday after missing most of Tuesd ...

Corey Gaynor is working hard to solidify his spot as backup center to UM senior standout Tyler Gauth ...

Former University of Miami football and NFL star player Jonathan Vilma made a splash in South Florid ...

Miami Law conducts its inaugural Legal Impact Hack for first-year students. ...

Conquer common back to school challenges with an expert's guide for parents and children. ...

Unique camp supports children whose parents have cancer. ...

New study shows that discriminating against workers with tattoos puts hiring managers at a competiti ...

Bill Clinton convenes the second summit of his CGI Action Network on Post-Disaster Recovery at UM. ...

Miami redshirt senior quarterback Malik Rosier was named to the preseason watch list for the Manning ...

The University of Miami's volleyball team returns to the Knight Sports Complex on Saturday at 3 ...

The University of Miami soccer team will travel to Boca Raton, Fla., Friday night as the team kicks ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews revealed Thursday the team's schedule ...

The Canes defense is full of big names like Shaq Quarterman and Jaquan Johnson, but these players ha ...