glitches and flows: infiltrate 5.0 puts ultra five feet above ground

Fighting the glossy, spray-on tanner attending, overpriced Winter Music Conference for five years now is the all-night party known as Infiltrate. Infiltrate 5.0 went down this year at the Soho Lounge (what didn’t go down there?) in the Miami Design District on Saturday night.

On the flyer it proudly boasted, “no VIP, no badges, no bullshit.” So, while one could pay an exuberant amount for VIP status at Ultra before sundown, you couldn’t buy that status here, let alone find a glow stick.

Dozens of acts representing the local and national electric underground scene were all present and accounted for in one of four different performance areas. Outside, an airy patio area was constructed where DJs spun an eclectic array of music. Inside, various upcoming DJs spun in the blue room to a sparse, relaxed crowd. In the orange room is where you found acts like Otto von Schirach, Doormouse, Vector Weirdos (Phoenecia and Dino Felipe), and $ki-Mall. Upstairs, the largest and most packed area, was reserved for the hip-hop lineup.

Back downstairs in the orange room, where the smell of cat urination filled the air from the week’s multiple parties, is where some of Miami’s favorites could be witnessed. $ki-Mall, host of WVUM’s “Electric Kingdom,” performed an exciting set that tied in samples of classic rock and metal bands. T

The crowd danced with giddy excitement as they threw up their arms and bounced around. $ki-Mall’s actions reflected the crowd, playing air-guitar and jumping around behind his blipping laptop, making for the highlight of the night. Orlando native Randy Garcia, who offered a mellower set that gave way to Doormouse’s bomb-dropping digital assault, followed up his set.

Dan Doormouse, dressed in a Slayer t-shirt and cowboy hat, screamed until his veins were popping out of his neck. He literally took off his pants and started doing jumping jacks and push-ups during his performance. Doormouse put on a visually stimulating performance. Everyone cheered him on as he spit up into the air then caught it back in his mouth. He frantically danced, as if hoping for a heart attack.

At the end of his set, Doormouse shared a critical poem with the crowd that connected dots between Miami’s music scene and a fashion show.
Security was tight and police were patrolling the parking lot. T

he party raged on clear until the wee hours of the night. The resistance to the Winter Music Conference is alive and well. As the WMC and Ultra get bigger and bigger, expect Infiltrate 6.0 to do the same.

– Kira Wisniewski

At their best, they are UM’s most dynamic players on each side of the ball. But the Ahmmon Richards ...

A day after practicing in the Carol Soffer Football Indoor Practice Facility for the first time in s ...

It appears that at least one LSU receiver won’t be available at the University of Miami football ope ...

After the Miami Hurricanes football team spent part of its practice on Monday in a torrential downpo ...

Nothing like a comic book cover on steroids to get University of Miami and LSU football fans juiced ...

Intergroup Dialogue, soon to be offered as a course, fosters a sense of belonging, an appreciation f ...

Aretha Franklin and her music defined “what is soul” to generations of music lovers. ...

The University of Miami kicked into high gear to welcome thousands of new students and ensure move-i ...

UM President Julio Frenk welcomes first-year and transfer students to UM in signature ’Cane Kickoff ...

Miami Law conducts its inaugural Legal Impact Hack for first-year students. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team won its exhibition match over FIU, 3-0, Saturday at the Knig ...

Coming off a road win in its season opener, the University of Miami soccer team will welcome crossto ...

In head coach Sarah Barnes' debut at the helm, the University of Miami soccer team won its seas ...

The Hurricanes practiced in the Carol Soffer Indoor Practice Facility for the first time ever on Fri ...

Malik Rosier, Travis Homer and Ahmmon Richards are key returning playmakers, but they are just the b ...