Confluence to provide forum for student opinion

Students can speak with ease in the new literary student journal Confluence, the first student-run literary journal of the humanities at UM. The publication will feature original writings from undergraduate students expressing their opinions about current events.
“The journal was created as a response to academic outlets for undergraduates to express their creative faculties,” Christian G. Wilson, founder and editor-in-chief of Confluence, said. “It will provide the undergraduate student body with the possibility to become published in an academic publication.”
So far, 21 entries have been received, half of which have already been selected for publication.
“I think that this is the chance for students to talk and express themselves. It is a good topic right now,” Emilie Leibovitch, senior, said. “Terrorism and threats question if we are still free. Students will be confronted by many opinions and might gain an open mind- it’s good to hear what others are saying.”
Other students agree and look forward to reading the journal.
“Students who have strong opinions now have somewhere to express them,” Francine Madera, sophomore, said.
The journal is sponsored by the Philosophy Department and by the UM College Democrats and will be published in chapbook format each semester. This semester’s theme is “Democracy and Its Discontents: Are Americans Still Free?”
The deadline for entries is Mar. 28 and all entries must be an original work from an undergraduate student, double-spaced with a maximum of 1,000 words.
Students must include their full name, their major, class, mailing address, phone number, and e-mail address. All entries should be sent to umjournal@hotmail.com
Students who are interested in working for the journal as an editor, a vice-editor, or as a reviewer should contact umjournal@hotmail.com.

Marquita Bell can be contacted at m_bell01@hotmail.com

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ Hurricanes fans aren’t the only ones exasperated by t ...

If Saturday wasn’t a turning point for N’Kosi Perry, it was maybe the start of one — at least this i ...

The question for Manny Diaz was simple, and the defensive coordinator’s answer was simple, too — sor ...

The University of Miami’s popular turnover chain was spotlighted in a promotional video for February ...

The evidence was glaring. On Monday night, Miami true freshman running back Lorenzo Lingard posted o ...

New student organization’s mission is a movement to return to the ‘roots’ of natural hair. ...

A University of Miami professor discusses the dynamics of this trend. ...

A mobile museum coming to UM this week will showcase relics of the African-American experience. ...

Get set for a whirlwind of information on critical issues facing the planet and how to tell those st ...

Professors and staff from UM are offering students an in-class introduction to gardening and food pr ...

The Canes have two games left in the 2018 regular season and they have one goal in mind: finish the ...

2018 NCAA Tournament programs match up at 7 p.m. at Watsco Center. ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team will host No. 19 Marquette in a top-25 matchup Thursda ...

Director of Track and Field/Cross Country Amy Deem announced the University of Miami's 2019 tra ...

The Miami women's basketball team moved up one spot to No. 24 nationally in this week's As ...