Bush rhetoric may be hypocrisy of the worst kind

Last week, against the will of most of the world, our nation began one of the most virulently disputed wars in history. I have already stated my opinion on this war, and it will not change. Now I want to state what I think we should be doing instead.
On September 11th, a small religious terrorist organization committed an atrocious act of violence. There are hundreds, maybe thousands of terrorist groups just like Al Qaeda that would attack us just as quickly given enough money and organization. If the object really were to avenge and honor those who died, we would be working to obliterate the economic base of these fundamentalist terrorist groups, working with other nations so that they will not house terrorists, and most importantly, working to engender understanding between our country and that region so that it will not continue to breed terrorists.
Don’t agree? Well, when was the last time Iraq crossed our borders and attacked us? When was the last time a small terrorist group crossed our borders and attacked us? Get the point?
Also, Bush’s strategy for defending our country involves making preemptive attacks on nations that pose potential threats to our security. To follow this plan, we must next attack North Korea, Iran, Sudan, and multiple other nations who are potential threats. In short, we must start a world war by ourselves against multiple nations who have committed no crime yet, and against the public opinion of more than half of the world. We must spare no expense, recoil at no amount of bloodshed until every possible threat to our security is defeated. As terrible as that sounds, if it is not carried through, all the rhetoric that has been flung around about the humanitarian reason for fighting Iraq will be proven for what I suspect it is: hypocrisy of the worst kind.
I have a few more words on the war and then I will have said my peace. I am tired of the president’s arrogance and of the belief that God is on anyone’s side in war. I am tired of the ignorance of the American people (polls show that 40 percent of Americans believe that Hussein was responsible for September 11th, and the Bush administration has done nothing to set the record straight). I am tired of the media lying down and letting Bush off easy. They came up with hundreds of questions for Clinton about a blowjob, but about the lack of factual evidence to justify war they seem to be drawing a blank.
Oh, and about those weapons of mass destruction: if they exist, why are so many Iraqi soldiers surrendering instead of using them to fight?

Travis Atria is a senior majoring in English Literature. Flame mail can be directed to Batman7777@aol.com.

So what’s UM getting with this recruiting class, among players already committed, most or all of who ...

On the eve of the early signing period, the new University of Miami defensive coordinators met the m ...

The early signing period is finally here and the Miami Hurricanes’ class is, at least for now, disap ...

Photo Gallery: UM football availabiilty | Tuesday, December 18, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

Zach McCloud said he never doubted whether he would return to the Miami Hurricanes for his senior se ...

Feelings of depression and anxiety rise during the holidays, but there’s plenty you can do to keep u ...

The Foote Fellows Honors Program offers students added flexibility to pursue multiple academic inter ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

Things have changed in Coral Gables since the end of the regular season, but there will be a familia ...

Canes and Houston Baptist play at 7 p.m. Wednesday at Watsco Center. ...

The No. 24/23 Miami women's basketball team will begin play at the Florida Sunshine Classic in ...

Hurricanes Name Banda, Patke Co-Defensive Coordinators; Promote Simpson to Associate Head Coach ...

The Miami women's basketball team is ranked in the top 25 of both major national polls this wee ...