News Briefs

UM Alumna Cristina Carriazo was killed Sunday morning in a car accident just blocks from her home. The 25-year-old was a second grade teacher at Miami Shores Elementary School. While a student, she was a member of Omicron Delta Kappa as well as the Zeta Tau Alpha sorority. She will be remembered for her caring and warm spirit as well as her natural passion to teach children. In lieu of flowers, a memorial fund has been established at the school to buy school supplies for students. Donations can be sent to the Cristina Carriazo School Supply Fund at Miami Shores Elementary, 10351 NE 5 Ave., Miami Shores, FL 33138.

The South Florida Peace Movement is planning to Mobilize to Stop the War. When the U.S. launches an all-out attack on Iraq, The South Florida Peace Movement has planned an emergency mobilization at 5 p.m. on the day the bombing begins! The mobilization will be at Government Center Metro Rail Station NE 1st Avenue & NE 1st Street. You are encouraged to bring signs, banners, posters and as many of your friends and neighbors as you can. To become part of the emergency response network email list, email MiamiForPeace@aol.com or call 305-544-0303 or 305-866-1156.

Students and others returning from recent travel to Hong Kong and Guangdong Province, People’s Republic of China, and Hanoi, Vietnam should monitor your health for at least seven days. If you become ill with fever accompanied by cough or difficulty in breathing, consult the Student Health Center or your personal physician about your recent travel to these regions and whether you were in contact with someone who had similar symptoms. For more information, contact the Student Health Center at 305-284-5927 or visit www.cdc.gov.

Get Ready. Power 96 is bringing reggae’s finest to the UM Convocation Center on Saturday, April 5 at 8 p.m. Don’t miss this opportunity to see Beenie Man, Sean Paul and friends perform live. Purchase tickets at the Convocation Center box office or through Ticketmaster. For information, log on to UMConvocationCenter.com or call 305-284-8686.

Registration for the fall and summer semesters will occur April 7-18. You can register any time after your designated appointment time! Course schedule books are available at your school. Appointment times will be posted on EASY on Monday, March 24. Before seeing your advisor you can check your ACE, course availability, and appointment time online at www.easy.miami.edu. To register, see your advisor for required signature or advising PIN.

The University of Miami is in search of a creative student who will design a tiled mural to enhance the outdoor aesthetic of campus. All full-time undergraduate students are eligible to enter this contest, and the winner will take home the $1,000 prize. The theme is “Higher Education at the University of Miami.” Designs should be submitted on 8 1/2″ x 11″ paper and can be in any media except photography or hyper-realism. They must be hand designed and cannot be computer generated. This should not be an abstract. Please submit your artwork by Monday, March 31, to Professor Carlos Aguirre, Department of Art and Art History. The decision is expected by early April. Sponsored by Captain Robert Henin (BS ’53) and the College of Arts and Sciences.

Six University of Miami faculty members are recipients of the seventh annual Provost’s Award for Scholarly Activity, created by UM Executive Vice President and Provost Luis Glaser in recognition of extraordinary research and scholarly pursuits. In addition to a commemorative plaque, each faculty member receives a $4,000 cash award and $2,000 toward continued research support.
This year’s honorees are:
Jay S. Skyler, Professor of Medicine, Pediatrics and Psychology and Director of the Division of Endocrinology, Diabetes, and Metabolism at the University of Miami, for his contributions and accomplishments in the field of diabetes, specifically on developing strategies to prevent or delay the onset of Type I diabetes through immunizations.
Thomas R. Malek, Professor of Microbiology and Immunology at the School of Medicine, for his research on cytokine receptor function in T Cell development, which has been steadily funded by the National Institutes of Health.
Professor David Ellison, Chair of the Department of Foreign Languages and Literatures, in the College of Arts and Sciences, for having built the department into a nationally recognized department of active scholars during his ten years at the University. He has authored four books and some twenty essays in the most prestigious journals in the country and abroad.
Physics professor Rafael Nepomechie, in the College of Arts and Sciences, for his work in the fields of mathematical physics, string theory, and statistical mechanics. He has been invited all over the world to lecture on his work, which has been continually supported by the National Science Foundation and NATO.
Christine Federighi, Professor of Art and Art History, in the College of Arts and Sciences, for maintaining an active life as a fine artist, producing a steady stream of new work for exhibition, while at the same time guiding numerous undergraduate and graduate students through a daunting array of courses in ceramics and glass.
Yadong Luo, Professor of Management, School of Business Administration, for his research in the field of international business. He has published fifteen books, nine of which he has sole-authored, and many of which are considered to be “musts” for anyone interested in the Chinese market.

A web portal is a personalized website for all students that you can customize to meet your needs. The portal will serve as a web-integration system that ties together the University’s existing systems, services, and information and that provides users with single-sign on access to these systems, including Blackboard, EASY and many others. Click on www.miami.edu/practice/portal_design to see a prototype. Furthermore, the portal uses technology to create a more personal relationship between UM and all the members of our community as a result of its features and tools that support communication and collaboration such as group e-mail functions for student organizations.
The University is close to releasing the portal for use, but we need to name it first! Email your suggestion for a name to nametheportal@miami.edu. Please include your name and Student ID number in your e-mail. The deadline for submitting a name is March 28 at midnight. You may submit as many names as you like. The winner will receive a one-semester book scholarship! The winning name will be selected by the Portal Steering Committee and contacted by April 21. If more than one person submits the winning name, the recipient of the book scholarship will be randomly drawn from those submitting that name. Good Luck!

When it’s time to renew your vehicle’s license plate, why not show your Hurricane Spirit with a University of Miami collegiate plate? When you renew your registration at your local tax collector’s office, simply let them know you wish to replace your current tag with a specialty license plate. If it is not time to replace the metal plate (every five years), you will pay a few additional dollars. The UM specialty tags cost an additional $25, which goes back to UM. For more information, contact the Specialty License Plate office at 850-414-2541

Attention all international students: You are invited to Kaplan’s GMAT Thursdays. Every Thursday from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m., you can take a FREE practice test. For more information, call 305-284-0090.

Don’t miss TOEFL Tuesday at Kaplan, the World Leader in Test Prep. Every Tuesday you are invited to take a FREE practice test from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. For more information or to sign up, call 305-284-0090.

The University of Miami School of Music will celebrate the inaugural season of the Stamps Family Charitable Foundation Distinguished Visitors Series. The series kicked off February 3 and continues through March 30, 2003.
The Stamps Family Distinguished Visitor Series events are all free and open to the public. All events will be held at the University of Miami School of Music in the Coral Gables Campus. For more information on the Stamps Series, visit the School of Music website at www.music.miami.edu or call (305) 284-3941.

This spring the University begins a new commencement tradition with an exciting new venue, the University of Miami Convocation Center. A series of ceremonies will be held on May 9th, 10th, and 18th, 2003. At the ceremonies, all graduates will be recognized by name and walk across the stage to be congratulated by the president and their respective dean. No tickets are required. Graduates are encouraged to invite family and friends. Visit www.miami.edu/commencement for regular updates on commencement information.