Campus Calendar

TODAY
A Week for Life executive board applications are due in UC 240. For more information, call 305-284-GIVE.

Join campus women for a Friday afternoon volunteer opportunity. LINK is sponsoring a Feel Good Friday afternoon today. For more information on volunteering contact, the Volunteer Services Center at 305-284-GIVE or email LINK0203@hotmail.com.

Do you radiate Hurricane pride? Want to pass on the traditions of the University of Miami and teach new students everything they need to know about Miami? If so, then Orientation Staff Fall 2003 is for you! Apply to be an Orientation Assistant (OA) and become an integral part of new students’ world their first few days on campus. Applications are available in UC 236 and are due today. Remember to sign up for an interview time upon turning in your completed application.

Don’t miss “Dinner, Drinks and Dartmouth” when the men’s tennis team hosts Dartmouth at 6 p.m. at the Schiff Tennis Center. Come out and support the ‘Canes and enjoy free food and drinks.

SATURDAY MARCH 22
Hurricane Productions is proud to present the Spring 2003 concert: The Pat McGee Band. Come enjoy the band’s rich harmonies and energized acoustic rock as they play their chart-topping songs like “Runaway” and “Rebecca” from their Giant Records debut album, Shine. The concert starts at 8 p.m. and doors open at 7 p.m. All students get in free with a valid ‘Cane Card; guests are $10 and must be accompanied by a UM student. For more information visit the HP website at www.um-hp.com.

MONDAY MARCH 24
Distinguished Major General Kathryn G. Frost, who serves as the Commander of the Army and Air Force Exchange Service in Dallas, will be the featured speaker at the University of Miami’s College of Arts and Sciences Jane S. Roberts Memorial Lecture at 8 p.m. The lecture is titled Army of One: Leadership in the War Room and the Board Room. The event is free and open to the public. It will be held at the Storer Auditorium. Please arrive early. Seating will be available on a first come, first served basis. All bags are subject to search. No backpacks or big bags will be allowed. For more information, contact 305-284-2875.

The Judaic Studies Program and The Sue and Leonard Miller Center for Contemporary Judaic Studies invite you to a lunch and learn event with author Zhenya Senyak, who will speak on reclaiming the spiritual vision of Ancient Israel in his talk “In Defense of Heresy: A Jewish view of Jewish Survival” from noon to 1:30 p.m. at the Miller Center. Zhenya Senyak, author of The Hebrew Book of the Dead, is the levitical descendent of Polish Jews from the Bialystock/Tiktin area. He studied Hebrew with his grandfather, the Rev. Jos. Levenstein, founder of the Tifereth Torah synagogue in Brooklyn, and at ulpanim in Berkeley and Los Angeles. He teaches Jewish mysticism and Ancient Hebrew trope. Please R.S.V.P. by today via email to aberezin@miami.edu.

TUESDAY MARCH 25
Are you an Architecture major? Are you thinking about Architecture as a possible career? Then come to the Architecture Career Fair from 7 to 9 p.m. in the University Center Lower Lounge, where recruiters from a variety of firms will be available to talk about career opportunities. This event is free and open to all UM students and alumni. Bring plenty of resumes and make sure you dress to impress! For more information, visit www.miami.edu/careerexpo/students.

Don’t miss WOMEN ON THE MIC at 7 p.m. in the Storm Surge Cafe of the University Center. In honor of Women’s History Month, please join the Women’s Resource Center and Multicultural Student Affairs in a night of poetry. The event is open to all students who would like to share their written words. The topic is women only! The event is hosted by Nanette Vega, Asst. Director/ MSA. So put the pen to paper and come out and support this event in honor of women all around the world. Prizes will be awarded! Be sure to register if you want to participate. To sign up please stop by the Women’s Resource Center (UC Room 224) or Multicultural Student Affairs (Bldg 21-P).

WEDNESDAY MARCH 26
Want to learn more about the graduate school admissions process? Don’t miss your opportunity to get the some valuable information at 5:30 p.m. in Toppel Career Center Library. This program will show you the steps to take to bring you closer to your goal of getting into graduate school. Panelists will discuss how to prepare applications, write a winning application essay, get good recommendation letters, and to ace your interview. So, what are you waiting for? For more information, visit www.miami.edu/toppel.

THURSDAY MARCH 27

You are invited to Sex in the Campus: An Evening with Candance Bushnell, Author of Sex in the City and 4 Blondes, in Storer Auditorium at 8:00 p.m. For more information, contact Hurricane Productions at www.um-hp.com.

UM Ethics Society and Solutions Interdisciplinary Forum present an interdisciplinary panel discussion on artificial intelligence featuring UM professors Dr. Kenneth Goodman (Ethics), Dr. Geoffrey Sutcliffe (Computer Science), and Dr. David Wilson (Biology). The event takes place from 6:30 p.m. to 8:15 p.m. in LC 120. Refreshments will be served. For more information, please e-mail Ethics Society President Daniel Soberon at d.soberon@umiami.edu or Solutions President Khaleem Mohammed-Ali at solutions.studorg@miami.edu.

MONDAY MARCH 31

The Department of Multicultural Student Affairs presents “Access Granted,” at 12 noon in the UC Ballrooms C&D. Lunch will be provided. Access Granted is an open forum for Black students to discuss issues affecting the Black student community at the University of Miami. Special guests from the Black faculty and staff will be present to dialogue with students and address issues on campus and in the South Florida community. If you plan to attend, please RSVP by Thursday, March 27 by contacting MSA at x2855. Don’t forget to check out the Unified Newsletter at www.miami.edu/msa.