Burning regret for some spring breakers

Spring break is supposed to be a time for overworked students to relax, go to the beach and party, away from the pressures of school. But for some this one week of heaven quickly turns into a lifetime of hell. The reason? Sexually transmitted diseases [STDs].
“We would help students with STDs cope with their feelings,” Malcolm Kahn, Ph.D., director of the Counseling Center, said. “If they felt like they were in a crisis, they could just walk in or schedule an appointment.”
Many students realize that spring break can be a dangerous time.
“I think a rise in STDs following spring break occurs because of the carelessness associated with that break,” Blake Harris, junior, said. “Students see the break as an excuse to do things that they normally wouldn’t do.”
As a result of this phenomenon UM provides many different services for students, both educational and medical.
“I believe that the Health Center experiences a surge in STIs [Sexually Transmitted Infections] post-spring break; therefore we try to provide education during Safe Spring Break Week,” Janet Tiberian, assistant director for Student Wellness at the Department of Wellness and Recreation, said. “During this week we provide students with Safe Spring Break kits which contain information about STIs and condoms, among other things.”
Many students feel that, although the school provides services aimed at students who have become infected with an STD, these services are not well-publicized around campus.
“I didn’t even know that the school provided STD-related services,” Kevin Dean, sophomore, said. “I know more people with STDs than programs that exist to help them.”
Some students are not even aware that these services exist.
“I have absolutely no idea about what kind of services the Health Center on campus provides for students who think that they have STDs,” Alison Rasgado, sophomore, said.
The Miami Hurricane was unable to obtain a statement from the Health Center despite repeated attempts.
The Health Center can be contacted at 305-284-5927. To schedule an appointment with the Counseling Center, contact 305-284-5511.

Arnab Basu can be contacted at basuarnab@hotmail.com

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Monday: ▪ If you ever wondered what the Hurricanes would look like if ...

Demetrius Jackson has come through again for his Overtown neighborhood. For the second year in a row ...

Days after praising Mark Richt, Clemson grad transfer quarterback Kelly Bryant has canceled his Frid ...

Mark Richt kept his word. On Thursday, two days before the Miami Hurricanes defeated Virginia Tech 3 ...

The season is evaporating before our eyes. And nothing made that more obvious than University of Mia ...

Erin Kobetz, director of Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center’s Firefighter Cancer Initiative, disc ...

Kristiana Yao, who graduated summa cum laude in May, said she was “still in shock” after finding out ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team dropped a 75-52 decision Sunday at Iowa State in the P ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team forced No. 10 Pitt to five sets in a thrilling match on Seni ...

University of Miami head golf coach Patti Rizzo announced Thursday the signing of three golfers to N ...