Take Spring Break to think about your Democracy

As Spring Break approaches, everyone is probably wondering how a cynical college student with deep-seated objections to the impending war with Iraq spends his break. I’m sorry to harp on war, but I have a hard time writing about how much parking sucks when thousands of lives and billions of dollars are about to be spent pursuing a war that has not yet been justified and that has literally millions of protestors world wide (our president referred to them as a “focus group”).
This Spring Break, I will be trying to answer two questions that it seems supporters of war cannot answer. First: why Iraq? Supporters of war cite a list of reasons, some of which may not be completely true. Then, when millions of people and some of the most powerful countries in the world say that they are not persuaded, supporters of the war merely repeat those same “facts” without any new information that might make protestors change their minds.
These supporters of war, for example, will say that Hussein gassed his people, a comment that has absolutely nothing to do with the situation we are in right now. They will also say that we must stop him from developing and selling more weapons of mass destruction as a matter of national security, which is just hypocritical. After all, North Korea has nuclear weapons and wishes to sell them to anyone who will buy them, but no one is crying for their blood.
Second: Why now? Supporters of war have failed to answer this question. The world seems ready to explode, we are in the middle of a conflict based largely on a clash of religions, and our president, diplomatic genius that he is, is outspoken in his belief that the Christian God is on America’s side. Call me crazy, but doesn’t it seem like pursuing this war right now might be a little like lighting a match in a barrel of gunpowder? Is this the smartest time to toss diplomacy to the wayside, and more importantly, will this war solve anything or will it simply increase anti-American sentiment worldwide?
If I may say one last thing: I am disgusted by the recent trend in this country of treating protestors like traitors or supporters of terrorism. Are we living in 1955? Has Joseph McCarthy been resurrected? Are we going to reinstate HUAC and start blacklisting people because of their “ties to communism?” It certainly seems there are plenty of “good Americans” who would love to see protestors silenced by any means necessary. And to think, we want to instate a democracy in Iraq when we don’t even understand what it means to have one here.

Travis Atria is a senior majoring in English Literature. Viruses can be directed to Batman7777@aol.com.

University of Miami tailback/fullback Trayone Gray, a popular fifth-year senior out of Miami Carol C ...

When Mother’s Day came around back in May, Keontra Smith knew it was time to unveil his college comm ...

University of Miami true freshman quarterback Jarren Williams was not at practice on Tuesday morning ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Monday: ▪ The Hurricanes, who began the offseason with five highly sk ...

There’s no doubt who the starting quarterback is at the University of Miami. As for those other thre ...

Conquer common back to school challenges with an expert's guide for parents and children. ...

Unique camp supports children whose parents have cancer. ...

New study shows that discriminating against workers with tattoos puts hiring managers at a competiti ...

Bill Clinton convenes the second summit of his CGI Action Network on Post-Disaster Recovery at UM. ...

A UM researcher has determined that children exposed to traumatic events exhibit pains that if left ...

Head coach Mark Richt, all 10 assistant coaches and more than 50 players met with the media at the N ...

The Miami Hurricanes were under the lights at Hard Rock Stadium Saturday, closing out the opening we ...

The University of Miami volleyball program reported for training on Tuesday, officially beginning pr ...

Several members of Miami's highly-rated recruiting class have entered fall camp hungry to prove ...

Two University of Miami Track and Field athletes represented their respective countries at the Europ ...