Road victory keeps UM’s hopes alive

The Miami Hurricanes shot 52.7 percent from the floor and got scoring from some unlikely sources to beat the Hokies 79-71 in a Big East game in front of 3,020 fans at Cassell Coliseum.
The Hurricanes improved to 11-15(4-11 Big East), and are now tied with the Hokies for last place in the Eastern Division. However, Miami owns the tiebreaker over Tech by virtue of its two wins over the Hokies this season. The loss dropped Tech to 11-17 on the season, and they are 4-11 in the Big East. A Miami victory over St. John’s Saturday night at the Convocation Center, or a Hokies loss to West Virginia puts the ‘Canes in the Big East Tournament.
Tech never led in this one and trailed by 10 twice in the second half before tying the game both times on 10-0 runs. The Hokies tied the game at 63 the final time when Dixon converted a three-point play with 3:37 left in the game.
The ‘Canes, though, regained the lead when Eric Wilkins connected on arguably Miami’s biggest basket of the season. Wilkins, a 6-foot-4 freshman guard, hit a fade away jumper with less than five seconds on the shot clock to give Miami a 65-63 lead.
That started an 11-1 run as Miami built its lead back to 10 and never looked back. The ‘Canes hit 10-of-12 from the free-throw line in the final 1:09 to seal their second road win and first Big East road win of the season.
“I thought that shot was huge,” Miami coach Perry Clark said. “I felt if they ever got the lead, then it would be like a runaway horse and we’d never catch them.
James Jones led Miami with a game-high 21 points and Darius Rice – who sat out Miami’s game against BC this past weekend with an injury to his shooting hand – scored 10 on 3-of-10 from the floor after scoring 32 against Tech in the first meeting. But the two guys who killed Tech were guards Armondo Surratt and Wilkins.
Wilkins, who had been in double figures just twice all season and came into the game averaging 3.8 points per game, scored a career-high 19 points and made 7-of-9 from the floor. Surratt, who came into the game averaging 6.2 points per game, scored 15 points and dished out eight assists.

-Courtesy of the Virginia Tech Sports Information Department

Freshman quarterback Jarren Williams, who returned to practice Wednesday after missing most of Tuesd ...

Corey Gaynor is working hard to solidify his spot as backup center to UM senior standout Tyler Gauth ...

Former University of Miami football and NFL star player Jonathan Vilma made a splash in South Florid ...

University of Miami tailback/fullback Trayone Gray, a popular fifth-year senior out of Miami Carol C ...

When Mother’s Day came around back in May, Keontra Smith knew it was time to unveil his college comm ...

Conquer common back to school challenges with an expert's guide for parents and children. ...

Unique camp supports children whose parents have cancer. ...

New study shows that discriminating against workers with tattoos puts hiring managers at a competiti ...

Bill Clinton convenes the second summit of his CGI Action Network on Post-Disaster Recovery at UM. ...

A UM researcher has determined that children exposed to traumatic events exhibit pains that if left ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews revealed Thursday the team's schedule ...

The Canes defense is full of big names like Shaq Quarterman and Jaquan Johnson, but these players ha ...

Quick Hits gives University of Miami volleyball fans an inside scoop on the latest additions to the ...

Head coach Mark Richt, all 10 assistant coaches and more than 50 players met with the media at the N ...

The Miami Hurricanes were under the lights at Hard Rock Stadium Saturday, closing out the opening we ...