Culture

News Briefs

Tonight
Emo rocksters Rainer Maria perform at the Polish American Club, 1250 NW 22nd Ave., Miami, a venue reminiscent of your high school dance hall. Mates of State and Saturday Looks Good to Me hit the stage as well. Show starts at 10 p.m. All ages. $8. 305-634-3907.

’70s rock group Lynyrd Skynyrd, who created such hits as “Sweet Home Alabama,” get wild at the Pompano Beach Amphitheatre, 1806 NE 6th St., Pompano Beach. Tix are $40.75-$76.

50 Cent raps at Star Bar, 100 SW 3rd Ave., Ft Lauderdale. Number N/A.

Sarurday, March 8th
Shit gets funky at the Langerado Music Festival: 15 bands (including Medeski, Martin and Wood, moe., G-Love & Special Sauce, MOFRO and the Codetalkers), 11 a.m.-11 p.m. at the Fort Lauderdale Stadium Festival Grounds, 5301 NW 12th Ave., Ft Lauderdale. $32.50 in advance, $40 at the door. 800-594-TIXX.

Feast your eye on art inspired by Western influences on Japanese culture at The Art Lab, 1919 Sunset Harbor Dr., Miami Beach. Pieces by Peter Giovenco, Jaie Hwang, Miguel Paredes and Geisha performance by Elaine Lancaster.7-10 p.m. 305-695-8200.

Poplife hosts a performance by Pencilgrass, a band you’ve heard and seen at UM parties while refilling red cups with piss-water beer. They’re playing in the frontyard at Piccadilly Garden, 35 NE 40th St., Miami. $7. 305-573-8221.

Sunday, March 9th
Get rowdy at Churchill’s, 5501 NE 2nd Ave., Miami, with Dream to Riot, Anesthetic and Painting David’s Face. Cover varies. 305-757-1807.

Saturday, April 5th
Beenie Man, Sean Paul, Wayne Wonder and others spit dancehall rhythms at UM’s Convocation Center, 1245 Walsh Ave. $22.25. 305-284-8686.

An online seminar sponsored by the University of Miami Institute for Advanced Study of the Americas

The first presidential debate between President Donald J. Trump and former vice president and democr

As the Miami Hurricanes take on Florida State, University of Miami students are invited to a Friday-

Linguist Caleb Everett reminds us that the mind has yet to grasp the modern world’s explosion of mas