In a dissapointing season, Hite provides glimmer of hope for UM

Robert Hite soars through the air with such grace that some people call him “Flight.” Standing at 6-2, the freshman guard has dazzled fans at the Convocation Center with high-flying dunks and alley-oops all season. However, Hite’s exciting style of play hasn’t helped the ‘Canes as much as Hite wished.
“I could have done a lot better,” Hite said. “I think I could have contributed more, but things went the way they went and there’s nothing I can do about it now.”
Despite Hite’s disappointment with his effort this season, he has provided 7.5 points per game, which ranks third on the team behind star forward Darius Rice and senior leader James Jones.
Head Coach Perry Clark had good things to say about Hite’s progress.
“I think Rob started off and gave us a really big boost,” Clark said. “I think he’s going to be an outstanding basketball player for us, and I just think he’s going through the adjustment that freshman go through in the Big East.”
The rookie adjustment that Clark mentioned has taken its toll on a struggling Miami team that features five freshmen. Even though Hite came out of high school ranked by CNNSI as the nation’s No. 50 recruit, he knew coming to Miami would involve a big adjustment in his game.
“It’s a totally different level,” Hite said. “The game is just a lot faster and you have to be able to recognize things faster.”
Hite, who came to Miami as the reigning Associated Press Ohio Player of the Year, started 18 of the first 19 games this season, but lost his spot after an overtime loss to Villanova on Feb. 8.
“Since he [Clark] took me out of the lineup, I’ve been playing more aggressive and trying to get my spot back,” Hite said.
Although Hite’s immediate goals include reclaiming his starting spot and helping the team win its last two games in order to reach the Big East Tournament, he has big plans for the future as well. Someday, Hite hopes to play in the NBA and own a business. However, Hite knows he has a lot of work to do before any of those dreams become a reality.
“I’m going to try to gain 10 more pounds of muscle in the off season,” Hite said. “I also need to work on my ball handling and my shooting, so my shot will be more consistent.”
Clark believes that Hite needs to work more on the mental aspect of his game more than the physical aspect.
“I don’t think Rob has the right mentality,” Clark said. “I think Rob can be a very dominant type player in this league. I don’t know if he sees himself like that day in and day out and sometimes he doesn’t assert himself.”

Nate Johnson can be reached at NPJ44@aol.com

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Monday: ▪ If you ever wondered what the Hurricanes would look like if ...

Demetrius Jackson has come through again for his Overtown neighborhood. For the second year in a row ...

Days after praising Mark Richt, Clemson grad transfer quarterback Kelly Bryant has canceled his Frid ...

Mark Richt kept his word. On Thursday, two days before the Miami Hurricanes defeated Virginia Tech 3 ...

The season is evaporating before our eyes. And nothing made that more obvious than University of Mia ...

Erin Kobetz, director of Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center’s Firefighter Cancer Initiative, disc ...

Kristiana Yao, who graduated summa cum laude in May, said she was “still in shock” after finding out ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team dropped a 75-52 decision Sunday at Iowa State in the P ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team forced No. 10 Pitt to five sets in a thrilling match on Seni ...

University of Miami head golf coach Patti Rizzo announced Thursday the signing of three golfers to N ...