War in Iraq is a lose-lose situation for everyone involved

I mainly hear the liberal side about why war is catastrophic and how greedy President Bush and his cronies are-two premises I agree with. War can bring considerable consequences and George W. Bush and his buddies are avaricious. However, I’d like everyone to consider the reasons why I don’t think destructive war is likely in Iraq.
First, going to war in Iraq is not that easy. Bush and friends have billions of dollars worth of oil interests in the Middle East, including Iraq. Most Arab countries are part of OPEC, even Iraq. If we tick off OPEC and oil shipments to the US are cut, where are we going to get our oil from, Alaska? There’s too much controversy to drill there.
Second, war has nothing to do with freedom fighting on either side. Hey, Americans have also killed off cultures and then depicted them to be the bad guys, like Native Americans. Instead of freedom, war happens to be an interest in money by taking over world markets. If Iraq were to take over the world, then we have to live the Iraqi way of life because they would dominate the world market. We Americans are not used to being killed for our rather rebellious attitude and free speech. However, Americans dominate world markets so what’s the big deal?
Third, I do sympathize with Bush’s logic for preemption to take out Saddam Hussein. If no one wants to hear about oil, or oppressed people, or et cetera, then at least appreciate this aspect in American history. People did not consider much about Adolf Hitler or Josef Stalin as being ruthless, empirical tyrants who want to conquer the world during the heights of their regimes. Well folks, look what happened: World War II and the Cold War. Saddam Hussein is easily another Stalin judging by his ruthlessness to his own people. I think it is in our best interests to prevent any further acts of harm to us. Whether or not we might be oppressive is questionable. But ask yourself this: Who will die, you or they? Either way, it’s a lose-lose situation for concerned humanitarians.
Last, if war in Iraq were that imminent, wouldn’t we have done something already instead of waiting seventeen months after 9/11?

Seth Bleicher can be contacted at sethbleicher@yahoo.com.

Three of four University of Miami scholarship quarterbacks were suspended at various times this seas ...

While the University of Miami offense has struggled mightily this season, its defense has been stell ...

The Pittsburgh Panthers boast one of the best rushing offenses in the country. On Saturday, the Miam ...

After watching several juniors turn pro and then go late in the draft or not at all in recent years, ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Monday: ▪ If you ever wondered what the Hurricanes would look like if ...

Erin Kobetz, director of Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center’s Firefighter Cancer Initiative, disc ...

Kristiana Yao, who graduated summa cum laude in May, said she was “still in shock” after finding out ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

The Miami women's basketball team jumped two spots to No. 22 nationally in the first in-season ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team dropped a 75-52 decision Sunday at Iowa State in the P ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team forced No. 10 Pitt to five sets in a thrilling match on Seni ...