Sports Briefs

Men’s Tennis
The University of Miami men’s tennis team fell 7-0 to No.1-ranked Illinois Sunday in Champaign, Ill.
Despite the loss, the Hurricanes received extraordinary play from doubles pairing Andrew Golub and Colin Purcell that defeated the No. 2-ranked doubles team Amer Delic and Michael Calkins 9-8 (4).
The loss was the second straight for the No. 32-ranked Hurricanes. With the defeat, UM fell to 5-3 on the season.
In singles play, Colin Purcell (Louisville, Ky.) put up the toughest fight for the Hurricanes, pushing No. 60 Ryler DeHeart to three sets (6-4, 1-6, 6-3).
The loss comes one day after the ‘Canes were dealt a mild upset Saturday when it lost 4-3 to No. 42 Indiana.
Coach Bryan Getz said that while the two teams were evenly matched in terms of talent and skill, the Hoosiers came to the court with more “mental toughness” than the Hurricanes.
Getz also noted that the young UM squad struggled to adjust to playing indoors, but added “that’s no excuse.”
UM took the doubles point as Golub and Purcell defeated Viktor Libal and Petr Novotny 8-6 and Todd Widom and Eric Hechtman defeated John Stone and Jakub Praibis 9-7.
In singles play, however, the Hurricanes were unable to counter Indiana’s resolve.
“We were fortunate to get the doubles point, but then we came out flat in singles,” Getz said.
Miami won two singles matches. At first singles, No. 18-ranked Widom defeated Praibis 3-6, 6-3, 6-2 and, in fourth singles, Hechtman beat Ryan Recht 6-3, 5-7, 6-4.
The Hurricanes’ next home match will be Thursday, March 6 when they host Georgia Tech at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center on the Coral Gables Campus.

Swimming and Diving
University of Miami In addition to finishing among the top teams in the conference at the Big East Championships, two swimmers set new school records.
Last season, Hurricane standout and Big East Swimmer of the Year Manon Van Rooijen set new Big East Championships records in both the 200 and 100-freestyle events.
This season, Van Rooijen defended both of her Big East titles and improved on her time in the 200 free, racing to a 1:46.44 finish, setting a new championship record as well as one for the University of Miami.
Senior swimmer Elaine Schwartz, who produced an outstanding championship performance with two top-five finishes, set a new school record in the 400 IM. She placed third in the event with a time of 4:17.02.
The record in the 400 IM was previously held by Kristal Tellegen, formerly a standout swimmer and also a coach for the Hurricanes.
Van Rooijen holds records in both the 100 and 200-freestyle events at UM.

It was maybe coincidence, but positioned just behind his left shoulder as Tyrique Stevenson spoke ab ...

The Miami Hurricanes unveiled a new turnover chain this season, replacing the bedazzled “U” that han ...

Before now, the last time the Miami Hurricanes scored 21 or fewer points in four consecutive games w ...

Keontra Smith waited a long time for the Miami Hurricnaes to finally offer him. The defensive back g ...

University of Miami true freshman running back Cam’ron Davis, known as Cam for short, is about to lo ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

UM Professor of Law Frances R. Hill tells us what we should know. ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...

The Canes hit the road for the final time in the 2018 regular season and it is to a familiar and hos ...

The Canes top the Golden Eagles to move onto the WNIT Championship game. ...

Miami wraps up its season-opening homestand with a 2 p.m. Saturday matchup against Bethune-Cookman a ...

University of Miami head golf coach Patti Rizzo announced Thursday the signing of three golfers to N ...