Miller’s quest results in first career collegiate victory

The University of Miami has a new star on the rise, and she is already making a possible case to join the LPGA.
Sophomore golfer Tina Miller won the UCF Invitational in Orlando last weekend after shooting a tournament record 69 in the second round, following an opening day 76. The victory marked the first collegiate win for Miller.
“I was pretty confident going into the final round,” Miller said. “The putts dropped when they needed to and when they didn’t; it didn’t get under my skin.”
Success is something that is definitely not new to Miller. While attending Archbishop Curley Notre Dame High School in Miami, she played for the men’s team, and was ranked fifth in Miami-Dade County Boys Golf in 2000-01. In 2001, Miller battled from nine strokes down on the final day to become the Florida State Girls Champion.
The Graphic Design major and four time All-Dade selection was heavily recruited by the Universities of Florida, Tennessee, and Georgia. Even though she visited many schools, the Florida native knew that UM was the right place for her.
“I knew right there on my visit, that this is where I wanted to be,” Miller said.
Miller’s success can be attributed to whom the sophomore looks to as role models. Among her favorite golfers are Tiger Woods and Annika Sorenstam.
“I hope that one day I can give Annika a challenge and get all this hard work and dedication to pay off,” Miller said.
A typical workout for the UCF Invitational Champion and her teammates is warming-up for a half hour and then either playing a round of nine or 18 holes and then working on her short game. On the weekends when they don’t have a tournament, the ‘Canes play at Don Shula’s Golf course in Miami Lakes.
Like many other athletes, Miller has a few superstitions. Among them has been Miller’s tendency to play exclusively with orange ball markers.
“I just started using orange when I got here and I putted well, so I kept doing it,” Miller said.
The ‘Canes play next at the Lady Gator Invitational in Gainesville, beginning Sunday. With the way that she is playing, it doesn’t seem like Tina Miller will be changing her beloved orange ball markers in the near future.
“People are going to underestimate us, but hopefully after that last day, we’ll be the ones with the smiles on our faces,” Miller said.

Ben Wolf can be reached at b.wolf@umiami.com

The Miami Hurricanes’ 2020 recruiting class continues to grow. Three-star Deerfield Beach wide recei ...

Chaminade-Madonna in Hollywood has produced some distinguished alums, including ESPN (and Miami Hera ...

Columbus was a popular destination for coaches throughout the first full week of May this spring. On ...

With Mark Walton (cut by Cincinnati) and Kendrick Norton (released by Carolina), the Dolphins have n ...

Perhaps no one but Kellen Winslow II knows for sure when his deep dive began from beloved University ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are transforming weather forecasts by creating a seasonal for ...

Imagine simulating diabetes, lung cancer, or heart disease on a device no larger than a credit card. ...

Alabama’s new abortion law puts the issue of women’s rights in the spotlight for the upcoming 2020 e ...

The University of Miami is shaping the future of education by using innovative approaches that drive ...

Six short films created by University of Miami film students will be screened in Los Angeles this we ...

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team edged No. 77 Paola Diaz-Delg ...

The Bowling Green, Ky., native joins the Hurricanes after spending two seasons at Liberty. ...

Redshirt junior Brian Van Belle will take the mound in Miami's ACC Baseball Championship opener ...

For the 17th year in a row, the Miami women's tennis team ended the season in the top 25 of the ...

The quest for a spot at the 2019 NCAA Outdoor Championships begins Thursday for Miami's track a ...