It’s a very sad day in the neighborhood

He was known for his zip-up cardigan sweaters and worn tennis shoes. His manner was gentle and reassuring. Millions of young children grew up watching Fred Rogers of Mr. Rogers’ Neighborhood, including our own generation, and his death last Thursday came as a shock to all those who loved and knew him.
“I grew up watching him,” Elizabeth Reese, sophomore, said. “It was very sad to hear he died because you don’t expect people you grew up watching to die.”
Rogers died last Thursday in his Pittsburgh home after fighting against stomach cancer for a short time. He was 74.
“I felt bad about his death, although I didn’t watch the show,” Mohammed al Saegh, sophomore, said.
Mr. Rogers’ Neighborhood has been described by many as a children’s television show that redefined the children’s television industry. The show was produced at Pittsburgh’s public television station, WQED. It was first broadcast in 1966.
At the beginning of each show, Rogers would step into his television living room, pull out a sweater and slip into a pair of tennis shoes, all the while singing, “It’s a beautiful day in the neighborhood,” his signature song. This is how many remember him.
In his personal life, Rogers was an ordained Presbyterian minister who genuinely cared about children. A recurring theme on his show was that every child is special and unique.
Some students describe Rogers as a comforting voice to many children, primarily because he addressed many issues on his show like death and divorce – something that many kids have a hard time understanding and parents have a hard time explaining.
“I watched the show religiously,” Grace Salisbury, sophomore, said. “He was like a father figure.”
Throughout the decades, Rogers earned five Emmys, two Peabody Awards and, more recently, the Presidential Medal of Freedom for his work.
Although Rogers was an American television figure and icon, those who did not grow up watching him still know who he was and what he did.
“I grew up in another country, but even I know who Mr. Rogers is,” Reem Alkhaledi, sophomore, said. “I know he has influenced the youth of this country in many ways.”
The last episode of Mr. Rogers’ Neighborhood was taped in December 2000 and aired August 2001.
“I hope other people will produce shows like his, with a similar concept,” Silvia Guzman, junior, said.
The legacy of Mr. Rogers will live on as the show continues to air on more than 300 channels throughout the world.

For more information, visit http://pbskids.org/rogers.

Angelique Thomas can be contacted at aperivale@aol.com

University of Miami tailback/fullback Trayone Gray, a popular fifth-year senior out of Miami Carol C ...

When Mother’s Day came around back in May, Keontra Smith knew it was time to unveil his college comm ...

University of Miami true freshman quarterback Jarren Williams was not at practice on Tuesday morning ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Monday: ▪ The Hurricanes, who began the offseason with five highly sk ...

There’s no doubt who the starting quarterback is at the University of Miami. As for those other thre ...

Conquer common back to school challenges with an expert's guide for parents and children. ...

Unique camp supports children whose parents have cancer. ...

New study shows that discriminating against workers with tattoos puts hiring managers at a competiti ...

Bill Clinton convenes the second summit of his CGI Action Network on Post-Disaster Recovery at UM. ...

A UM researcher has determined that children exposed to traumatic events exhibit pains that if left ...

Head coach Mark Richt, all 10 assistant coaches and more than 50 players met with the media at the N ...

The Miami Hurricanes were under the lights at Hard Rock Stadium Saturday, closing out the opening we ...

The University of Miami volleyball program reported for training on Tuesday, officially beginning pr ...

Several members of Miami's highly-rated recruiting class have entered fall camp hungry to prove ...

Two University of Miami Track and Field athletes represented their respective countries at the Europ ...