Campus Calendar and News Briefs

TODAY
The 2003 Cobb Leadership Lecture will feature Dr. Steven B. Sample, president of the University of Southern California, at the School of Business at noon at the Storer Auditorium. The event is free and open to the public. Dr. Sample is a member of the National Academy of Engineering and a tenured professor in the USC School of Engineering. His patents on digital appliance controls have been licensed to practically every major manufacturer of appliance controls and microwave ovens around the world. Over 300 million home appliances have been built using his inventions. For more information on the Cobb Leadership Lecture series or to RSVP, call 305-284-2875 or email eventsmanagement@miami.edu. Refreshments will follow the presentation.

Don’t miss your chance to vote in the run-off for Student Government President in the UC Breezeway from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Show your support for candidates Scott Sadowski and Robert Castro by getting out there and voting.

The UM Ethics Society asks: “May I clone you?” What will be the consequences? Why should we have clones? Come to our discussion on the closely approaching phenomena of cloning in today’s science and medicine. The discussion will be led by Dr. Colin Hughes, professor of Biology. All majors and new members are welcome. The discussion will be held from 6:30 to 8 p.m. at LC 140.

Save a life by becoming a blood donor. The Wellness Center will hold a blood drive from 4 to 9 p.m. in the atrium. For more information, call the Wellness Suite at 305-284-5433.

Kaplan invites you to Law School 101 – Secrets to First Year Success. At this free event, attendees will learn how to brief a law case, make partial arguments and conduct themselves in a first year law class. The featured speaker will be nationally recognized legal scholar, former dean and law professor Dr. Paul Lisnek. The event will take place at the Holiday Inn, 1350 South Dixie Highway, at 7 p.m. Space is limited so RSVP to 1-800-KAP-TEST.

TUESDAY MARCH 4 AND WEDNESDAY MARCH 5

LINK and Myra Company Salon will be having a LOCKS OF LOVE hair drive on from 11 a.m. until 3 p.m. on the UC ROCK. Your hair will be styled! Anyone with hair six inches or longer can donate their hair. The hair donated will be used to make wigs for children who have severe burns or hair loss disorders or are receiving cancer treatment. Everyone donating hair gets a gift! Donations of unused hair accessories are also greatly appreciated! E-mail LINK0203@hotmail.com for more information!

WEDNESDAY MARCH 5
Services will be held on campus for Ash Wednesday at the Episcopal Church Center at 8 a.m., 12 p.m. and 7 p.m. The Episcopal Church Center is located at the corner of Stanford Drive and Levante, by the Stanford Drive guard gate. All are welcome.

It’s your last chance to vote for Student Government President. Voice your opinion during the run-off by placing your vote in the UC Breezeway from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Maybe you’ve wondered what Peace Corps volunteers end up doing after their service overseas. Here’s your opportunity to find out. From 5:30 to 7 p.m., come hear UM faculty and staff talk about their Peace Corps experience and how it helped to shape their careers and lives. The program will take place at the Whitten University Center International Lounge, second floor. Refreshments served at 5:30 p.m. For more information, contact Erin Seiler at 305-284-5398 or e.seiler@umiami.edu.

THURSDAY MARCH 6

The University of Miami School of Law Wrongful Convictions Project will host a panel of experts from noon to 2 p.m. in Room 352 at the law school. The event is free and open to the public. The panel will include former U.S. Attorney General Janet Reno, former Florida Supreme Court Justice Gerald Kogan; head of the Miami-Dade Public Defender’s office Benjamin Brummer, Nova Innocence Project Professor Catherine Arabascio and Broward County Capital Crimes Attorney Bill Laswell. Topics of discussion will include wrongful convictions in the state of Florida, the use of DNA evidence in overturning these convictions and the death penalty. For more information, call 305-467-5836.

The Athletics Department offers fans an opportunity to own a piece of Hurricane history. All 110 Hurricanes football lockers from the Hecht Athletic Center will be auctioned online, beginning at 8 a.m. on Tuesday, March 4 and concluding at noon on Wednesday, March 12. For more information, visit hurricanesports.com and click on “Hurricane Football Locker Auction.”

It’s that time of year again! Students Together Ending Poverty (STEP) and Wellness Center Intramurals will host the fifth annual Hoops for Hunger basketball tournament on Saturday, March 22 at the Wellness Center indoor basketball court. Hoops is a three-on-three basketball tournament to benefit Women’s Shelter of Hope, a community shelter that helps homeless women and children in the long and difficult road to regaining a better way of life. Men’s and women’s teams are welcome. All participants must be UM students or faculty. Prizes and raffles will be awarded. Sign-ups will be held in the UC Breezeway March 3 through 6 and March 17 through 20. For more information contact Volunteer Services at 305-284-GIVE.

The Undergraduate Research Day 2003 application deadline has been extended! The event is open to all undergraduates who have completed an original project at the University. Traditionally, faculty members have judged student posters in the sciences, but we invite all students to display their work. The deadline for submitting applications to the Honors Program office (21-Y) is now Friday, March 7 at 5 p.m. An additional information session will be held on Wednesday, March 5 at 7 p.m. in Cox 182. Please pick up an application at the Honors Program office or download it at www.geocities.com/inquiryum. Questions or Concerns? Contact Barbie Juncosa, Inquiry’s president, at NetWonderB@aol.com.

If you know of an outstanding employee in the Division of Student Affairs, why not nominate him or her for a 2003 Laurel Award? Award categories are outstanding job performance, exceptional work with students and new student affairs employee. Information and nomination forms are available at all Student Affairs Offices. Nominations are due by Friday, March 28 at the Toppel Career Center.

Nomination forms are out for the 2003 Vice President’s Award for Service. The forms are available in the Vice President for Student Affairs Office, The Butler Volunteer Services Center, The Faculty Senate and Government Office, The Dean’s offices at the Law and Graduate Schools and The Student Affairs Office at The Medical School. They are due by Friday, March 21.For more information please call Leandra Medina at 305-284-4483.