Villanova routs ‘Canes in Philadelphia

Men’s basketball unable to change things on road
The losing ways continue for Perry Clark’s Miami Hurricanes.
Curtis Sumpter had a career-high 21 points and Derrick Snowden added 15 as Villanova easily defeated Miami 75-56 on Tuesday night.
Ricky Wright, playing his last game on campus, had 10 points and 11 rebounds and Andrew Sullivan added 11 rebounds for the Wildcats (15-10, 8-4 Big East), who played the first in a stretch of four games in eight days.
Darius Rice had 15 points and Paulo Coelho added 12 for Miami (10-14, 3-10), which has lost six of its last seven. The ‘Canes have also dropped 10 of their last 11 contests away from Coral Gables.
The Hurricanes turned the ball over 21 times, marking the third consecutive 20-plus-turnover game. Eric Wilkins committed five miscues for Miami, while Rice and Coelho each turned the ball over four times. The ‘Canes also struggled with their shot, converting on just 19-of-52 (37 percent) from the field.
After falling behind 15-9 midway through the first half, the Wildcats scored 21 of the last 25 points of the half to take a 30-19 lead at the break. Sumpter had 12 points in the half to pace Villanova. Miami made just 7-of-28 (25 percent) from the field.
The 19 points was the lowest first-half total for Miami all season.
Villanova continued to pull away in the second half. Miami got within nine, 32-23, early in the half, but the Wildcats went on a 25-5 run and a steal by Snowden led to a fast break dunk to make it 57-28.
The Villanova lead reached 30 when a layup by Marcus Austin made it 61-31 with 9:22 left.
To make matters worse for the ‘Canes, Rice injured his hand early in the game while colliding with the Wright. Rice would return shortly, but proceeded to shoot just 4-13 from the field.
In addition, Clark said that several players suffered from assorted handicaps. James Jones was hindered by stomach flu while Michael Simmons suffered a slight concussion.
”This is not an excuse, but it was a combination of a lot of things that came down on us tonight,” Clark said. “These kids have been through a lot of disappointment and frustration, and it seemed to finally weigh on them.

– Compiled by the Sports Information Department

While the University of Miami has just three Class of 2019 oral commitments on offense, the Canes ha ...

Gerald Willis’ monster season has earned another piece of national recognition. On Monday, the Miami ...

It hasn’t been a great few weeks on the recruiting trail for the Miami Hurricanes with regards to of ...

A six-pack of Heat notes, leading up to Heat-Lakers on Monday night: ▪ In the days before one of his ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Friday: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt hasn’t yet given any indication to the ...

Most UM Debate Team members devote 10 to 15 hours of preparation for each tournament. ...

National Geographic connects with the University of Miami to empower the next generation of storytel ...

Following national recognition for its French production of Cinderella, the Frost Opera Theater is d ...

Several UM art students are getting real-world exposure during a highly anticipated – and attended – ...

Over the past several years, more and more students are using UM Libraries as a study place, a meeti ...

Gerald Willis III added to his postseason awards list, picking up second-team All-America honors fro ...

Following its longest break of the season thus far, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews announced Friday the signing of two players ...

After a six-day layoff, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team will be back in action Sund ...

University of Miami redshirt senior defensive tackle Gerald Willis III was recognized for his outsta ...