The often-hushed issue of Racism is never cold

I am a racist. And I hate it. I have a strong bias towards my personal ancestry. No one likes to talk about it and those who bring up the issue of racism are often criticized for spinning the topic in a fashion that reciprocates more ignorance. What is wrong with conscience-building discourse? The dichotomy of peace and tolerance against violence and prejudice is a charming characteristic of our human heritage.
So why shoot the messengers? The culprits are the people who are so often offended by any discussion on racism. Their problem is that they rationalize denial. Any conversation where the individuals involved are forced to step back and to honestly look at how they sometimes act or think based on race is productive. I have never encountered anyone in my entire life that is not a racist to a certain extent. We are all proud of our heritage, even if, at times, it was shady.
Therefore, the issue is never cold. I am a white male from South Carolina (a state with a longstanding history of stubbornness) and I grew up in a family that formerly did not approve of interracial dating (if there really is such a thing by broad definition). One of my friends from childhood still uses the word “nigger” in the opposite fashion as rappers do. I have encountered this level of ignorance in northern California (as neo-hippie liberal as it may be) and in southern Maine. I am not convinced that racism is centered in any particular area in the world. It is pretty much everywhere. So, save the critiques about fueling the problem by talking about it too much. This is and will continue to be a problem that is relevant to the history and to the future of the human race.
One alarming consequence of human cloning is the possibility that a new form of prejudice will be born in the future against a minority of cloned humans. So before we criticize folks like Al Sharpton for following controversy around the nation with cameras all in the name of oppression, let’s take a second to realize that the principles the Reverend stands for are the same principles that the framers penned into the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution: “We the people.”
I am racist. I don’t like certain people because their ancestors were very different from mine. Yet, I am an American (for better and for worse) and that means that I believe in the people, not my people.

Alex Saleeby can be contacted at claysaleeby@hotmail.com.

Keontra Smith waited a long time for the Miami Hurricnaes to finally offer him. The defensive back g ...

University of Miami true freshman running back Cam’ron Davis, known as Cam for short, is about to lo ...

It’s impossible for the Miami Hurricanes to ignore all the negative feedback which comes along with ...

The Pittsburgh Panthers’ win against the Virginia Tech Hokies was, for all intents and purposes, alr ...

University of Miami athletic director Blake James has no intention of pressuring or forcing coach Ma ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

UM Professor of Law Frances R. Hill tells us what we should know. ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

An international study led by University of Miami tropical biologists reveals that tropical trees ar ...

The Canes top the Golden Eagles to move onto the WNIT Championship game. ...

The Canes know the importance a win over Virginia Tech on Saturday can have heading into the final w ...

The University of Miami women's golf team announced Thursday that international amateur standou ...

N'Kosi Perry wants to build off his showing at Georgia Tech with another strong performance thi ...

Tournament runs Nov. 21-24, 2019, in Charleston, S.C. ...