Communication Week opens doors to students

Today is the last day of the fourth annual Communication Week, the UM School of Communication’s intense eight-day series of panels, discussions and workshops for UM students and the community.
Communication Week was started as a way to allow students to network with professionals in the communication fields. It continues to serve this purpose, but now also educates students about the issues related to their fields and introduces different and unusual career ideas to communication students.
“It’s meant to be an eye-opener for students,” Bob Hosmon, associate dean for the School of Communication, said.
Hosmon went on to explain some of the more unusual seminars and workshops, including a session on war photography and a presentation on “the oldest city in the world,” in addition to the usual workshops on “alternative career opportunities for communication students” and more.
Also, four diverse films were shown at the Cosford Cinema, including The Trials of Henry Kissinger and How I Killed My Father.
Speakers came from far and wide to have discussions with UM students. Guests included Iscar Blanco, reporter from BBC Latin America; renowned photographer Peter Howe; Mirta Ojito, reporter for the New York Times; and award-winning filmmaker Bob Gardner, as well as professors from UM and Florida International University.
According to Hosmon, several speakers were from the Latin American communication fields, appropriate guests since many communications employees in South Florida will work in this aspect of the media.
“We are lucky to have talented alumni who are willing to come back and share their experiences,” Hosmon said. “We have [communication]alumni who are lawyers and business people, not necessarily just print or broadcast journalists.”
“This week is for students and others to talk to professionals about the opportunities they can have when they graduate,” Hosmon said.
All events were free except the newspaper design workshop which was comprised of two days of one-on-one critiques by nationally renowned designers.
According to organizers and participants, Communication Week has proved to be increasingly popular each year.
Approximately 75-100 participants attended each event on average for this year’s Communication Week, with some events, such as the screening of Gardner’s film, Forest of Bliss, bringing in many more people.
Students generally look forward to the Week and participate in workshops for both their intrinsic value and the opportunities for grade boosting that some teachers offer.
“I’m honestly interested in many of the workshops,” Cecily Chambliss, sophomore communication student, said. “The internship workshop sounds good. Plus it’s cool that teachers are encouraging students to go by giving extra credit.”
Some teachers even rearranged class plans to accommodate Communication Week for their students.
“I wanted to see Peter Howe,” Christina Malone, a photography major, said. “But then I saw it was during my class. I was upset that I couldn’t attend, but then I found out he was talking to my class.”
Malone also found Howe’s workshop to be directly relevant to her immediate life and to her future career.
If you missed Communication Week this year, don’t worry: the School of Communication is already beginning to plan for next year. For more information, visit www.miami.edu/com/communicationweek.htm.

Jaclyn Lisenby can be contacted at jlisenby2001@yahoo.com.

It wasn’t long ago when the Miami Hurricanes’ Class of 2020 included the top three rising senior pro ...

Six new Hurricanes football players arrived on campus and began classes Monday, a group including a ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference Baseball Championship schedule is set. The No. 4 seed Miami Hurricanes ...

The first regular season of Gino DiMare’s head-coaching era ended Saturday at Mark Light Field. But ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ hopes for hosting an NCAA regional were damaged a bit on Friday night by a 12- ...

Imagine simulating diabetes, lung cancer, or heart disease on a device no larger than a credit card. ...

Alabama’s new abortion law puts the issue of women’s rights in the spotlight for the upcoming 2020 e ...

The University of Miami is shaping the future of education by using innovative approaches that drive ...

Six short films created by University of Miami film students will be screened in Los Angeles this we ...

Researchers from 16 Latin American and Caribbean countries, hosted by the Institute for the Advanced ...

Four Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the Atlantic Coast Conference Monday for their ...

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team started her NCAA Singles Cha ...

The Barcelona, Spain, native caps his sophomore campaign with a team-high 21 singles wins. ...

The University of Miami track and field program garnered 20 entries in the 2019 NCAA East Preliminar ...

Miami's schedule features seven matches against teams that reached the NCAA Championship. ...