Culture

album reviews: Ted Leo supplies Murs with Supergrass to smoke with a Simian

Supergrass
Life on Other Planets
***

Supergrass is the best British rock band around. Unlike other U.K. rock star outfits like Oasis, Blur, even Spacehog, these chaps rarely let all the boozing and model drama intervene with their safari towards a classic constellation of jams. Their fourth LP, Life on Other Planets, is decidedly choice, and it finds the band as focused as ever, yet it’s lighter and retro like a pair of PF Flyers. The tavern emerald shimmer from In It for the Money has been washed away by producer Tony Hoffer (Air, Beck), in favor of sing-a-long optimism; fortunately Supergrass sip from a glass of class like Robert Evans (so it’s kosher).
Even with all the luck, these boys are still ballsy and reckless as hell, hopping all over the place in “Never Done Nothing Like That Before,” and crooning like Queen (or is that Ween?) on the galactic “Run.” Each song stands out with different feelings and deliveries, conveniently just like the contrasting fonts on the back of the album. Surely Supergrass studies the Who, the Beatles and the Kinks, but this trio isn’t dirtying their hands in laborsome admiration like so many “revivalists.” Traditional rock fits them like a glove, and it’s time people over here stop bedding the Strokes to see who’s really waking the neighbors – bloody wankers.
It’s odd that Supergrass have never exploded in the land of the winners. There’s some ambiguity to their image in America, as if they’re merely singing your dad’s devil music about some lost dream girl on a train. Ironically this proves somewhat true, as on “Evening of the Day,” where vocalist Gaz Coombes croons, “If she’s not on that 315, then I’m going to know what sorrow means.” Bollocks.
Exhausted, clich

A University of Miami political scientist weighs in on whether election polls can be trusted given what occurred in 2016 and again last year. ...

A professor in the School of Communication, and an expert on the history of television sitcoms, writes about the 50th anniversary of “All in the Family.” ...

The former executive vice president and provost served from 1986 to 2005, elevating the University’s stature as a leading research institution. ...

The Hemispheric University Consortium is connecting universities and students for critical conversations focused on solving some of the world’s most pressing problems, such as climate change. ...

Experts say creativity and kindness can help make the most of this challenging holiday season. ...