Take a drag on your constitutional right to vote

I’m a bartender at a popular chain restaurant in Kendall-a chain owned by a corporation that has already decided to implement the no-smoking policy that was passed a couple months back, and is expected to be in statewide effect sometime around August. And I have to tell you, I’m getting pretty sick and tired of having the same conversation every day with some chain smoker annoyed with having to walk 20 feet from the bar to go smoke their cigarette outside.
Don’t get me wrong, every now and then I like to light up while conversing and drinking away a stressful week-I do sympathize with the utter, gut-wrenching inconvenience of not being able to kill your liver and your lungs at the same time-but where the hell were all these people on elections day? It’s certainly not the bartender’s fault that they didn’t bother to come out and vote “no.”
Of course, I didn’t vote either, but in my opinion, how bad is the smoking thing anyway? Surely getting a good dose of second hand smoke at a bar on Friday night doesn’t come close to the toxins we’re constantly exposed to all the rest of the week – car exhaust, factory emissions, microwave radiation, diet coke . . . but I’m not the one complaining.
My issue is not with the smokers; my issue is that I speculate the majority of the people complaining were too busy to try to prevent it. They should have voiced their opinion four months ago. Bottom line-they should’ve nipped that mandate in the butt when they could. Now, it’s too late.
To the smokers who voted, I’m sorry; but to all the other smokers, just go outside and be quiet because it’s ridiculous to complain about something you could have influenced had you bothered. As of this summer, all food-serving places in Florida will be smoke free-except for the smoke you’re still blowing. So stop whining and take this as a lesson: maybe next time you’ll make more of an effort from the get-go.

Whitney W. Friedrich is a senior majoring in Advertising and English. She can be contacted at witz615@aol.com.

Before Daniel Carter decided to sign with the Pittsburgh Panthers out of St. Thomas Aquinas, the fou ...

Lots of nuggets on new UM quarterback Tate Martell, the fallout and Jarren Williams’ reaction: ▪ Whe ...

Katie Meier is a legend at Duke. Her photo hangs in the concourse at Cameron Indoor Arena. She was t ...

New University of Miami head coach Manny Diaz was asked on the radio the morning after he was hired, ...

Jalen Hurts is off the market — and he’s not making his way to South Florida. The former Alabama Cri ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

Gisela Vega, the former associate director of LGBTQA Initiatives at Florida International University ...

With new “personas” allowing for a more personalized mobile experience, the redesigned University of ...

Teams of scholars will use U-LINK grants to examine ways to reduce opportunity gaps and biases in mu ...

Miami released its 2019 football schedule highlighted by a season-opening matchup against Florida in ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Thursday that ESPN reporter and UM alumna Allison Williams w ...

University of Miami head women's volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara announced Monda ...

After a weekend bye, the Miami women's basketball team resumes action Thursday evening at 7 p.m ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...