Take a drag on your constitutional right to vote

I’m a bartender at a popular chain restaurant in Kendall-a chain owned by a corporation that has already decided to implement the no-smoking policy that was passed a couple months back, and is expected to be in statewide effect sometime around August. And I have to tell you, I’m getting pretty sick and tired of having the same conversation every day with some chain smoker annoyed with having to walk 20 feet from the bar to go smoke their cigarette outside.
Don’t get me wrong, every now and then I like to light up while conversing and drinking away a stressful week-I do sympathize with the utter, gut-wrenching inconvenience of not being able to kill your liver and your lungs at the same time-but where the hell were all these people on elections day? It’s certainly not the bartender’s fault that they didn’t bother to come out and vote “no.”
Of course, I didn’t vote either, but in my opinion, how bad is the smoking thing anyway? Surely getting a good dose of second hand smoke at a bar on Friday night doesn’t come close to the toxins we’re constantly exposed to all the rest of the week – car exhaust, factory emissions, microwave radiation, diet coke . . . but I’m not the one complaining.
My issue is not with the smokers; my issue is that I speculate the majority of the people complaining were too busy to try to prevent it. They should have voiced their opinion four months ago. Bottom line-they should’ve nipped that mandate in the butt when they could. Now, it’s too late.
To the smokers who voted, I’m sorry; but to all the other smokers, just go outside and be quiet because it’s ridiculous to complain about something you could have influenced had you bothered. As of this summer, all food-serving places in Florida will be smoke free-except for the smoke you’re still blowing. So stop whining and take this as a lesson: maybe next time you’ll make more of an effort from the get-go.

Whitney W. Friedrich is a senior majoring in Advertising and English. She can be contacted at witz615@aol.com.

Eleven football seasons ago, after the Miami Hurricanes and FIU Panthers met at the Orange Bowl for ...

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

NASPA names UM as a Lead Advisory Institution for the seventh year in a row. ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball program won its third straight match in 3-0 fashion on Friday night ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team registered two straight-set wins Friday ...

It's been over a decade since they last met, but Miami and FIU are set to renew their crosstown ...

The University of Miami cross country team gears up to compete in its third meet of the season this ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a five-year contract extensio ...