News Briefs

Hippies and post- Jerry Garcia fans can chomp on this: the Other Ones, the band made up of the remaining members of the Grateful Dead, have decided to call themselves plainly the Dead and this name change officially began with their benefit concert in Warfield Theatre in San Francisco more than a week ago. They are planning a large summer tour, so check their website (www.dead.net) for more info.

To all those glued to Cartoon Network in the late-night confines of smoked-out dorm rooms-bleary-eyed and with a huge stock of munchies by their side-the channel announced at a press breakfast in NY last week three new series to debut as of July: “Duck Dodgers” (Daffy Duck and Porky Pig protect the Earth from enemies in the 24th Century), “LowBrow” (a young slacker with an 80-foot robot combats evil aliens) and “Teen Titans” (again, more superheroes and wicked foes).

You may not know her because garage and 2-step lay within the more arcane realm of music in the U.S., but this female MC Ms. Dynamite is blowing up in the UK. At last Thursday’s Brit Awards, she snagged the prize for best British urban act and for best British female artist. Since all these award ceremonies are mostly the result of politicking within the industry, the rest of the big victors was rather redundant and predictable: Robbie Williams, Coldplay and Norah Jones…zzzz.

Key West’s first Tennessee Williams Festival ended last night, honoring the famous playwright, who lived in the keys and was known for dressing in white and drinking at Sloppy Joe’s and Captain Tony’s Saloon. The festival opened last Saturday with a showing of A Streetcar Named Desire and The Rose Tattoo.

It appears that at least one LSU receiver won’t be available at the University of Miami football ope ...

After the Miami Hurricanes football team spent part of its practice on Monday in a torrential downpo ...

Nothing like a comic book cover on steroids to get University of Miami and LSU football fans juiced ...

They are two big bodies with experience, but new to the University of Miami. And the Miami Hurricane ...

Freshman quarterback Jarren Williams, who returned to practice Wednesday after missing most of Tuesd ...

Intergroup Dialogue, soon to be offered as a course, fosters a sense of belonging, an appreciation f ...

Aretha Franklin and her music defined “what is soul” to generations of music lovers. ...

The University of Miami kicked into high gear to welcome thousands of new students and ensure move-i ...

UM President Julio Frenk welcomes first-year and transfer students to UM in signature ’Cane Kickoff ...

Miami Law conducts its inaugural Legal Impact Hack for first-year students. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team won its exhibition match over FIU, 3-0, Saturday at the Knig ...

Coming off a road win in its season opener, the University of Miami soccer team will welcome crossto ...

In head coach Sarah Barnes' debut at the helm, the University of Miami soccer team won its seas ...

The Hurricanes practiced in the Carol Soffer Indoor Practice Facility for the first time ever on Fri ...

Malik Rosier, Travis Homer and Ahmmon Richards are key returning playmakers, but they are just the b ...