I’ve been convinced we need our Student Gov’t

Mike, as Student President Johnston insisted I call him, does not like the word “politician.” The Toronto native claims that in America, the term implies a negative connotation. But a politician, he is. As we sat at the Rat, he was constantly stopping our interview to acknowledge passersby, always introducing me and always throwing out one-liners and hardy hand shakes that would elicit their smiles and good will. This man was a pro at being the politico, without looking like the part.
It was with a certain dread that I anticipated our meeting to discuss the relevance of student government. I had to arrange our 4:30 appointment through Mr. Johnston’s full-time secretary, Gloria. For Gloria, being the secretary for student presidents has been a full-time job that she has held for over 26 years. Initially, I thought what arrogance that a student rep. should have a full time employee act as a firewall to fellow students. I smelled administrative pomposity at its worst.
Not so. Understanding that I was new to Miami, Mike pushed his other appointments back (including one with another Hurricane columnist, sorry Jorge) and took my questions for an hour over milkshakes and root beer. He told me that on an average day he attended to over 300 e-mails (hence the need for Gloria). Indeed, before holding my meeting he (with Gloria’s help) prepared a 90-page document listing his administration’s accomplishments for me to review, while attending to a series of questions from another concerned student.
Mike insisted that his effectiveness comes with his closeness to President Shalala. Indeed, he was able to pass daunting projects from his “10 point plan” that required millions of dollars to implement. Such tasks could not have been handled without a close rapport with the top brass in the Administration. Among his accomplishments: more cable channels for the dorms, increased police security for the campus and that popular crepe cart by the Union.
To test how far this politician would go to appease a member of the press, I voiced a personal complaint that I was unable to park at the Wellness Center because I commute. He said flatly that he could not endorse a request to change the parking lot regulations for the good reason that residents should not have to walk .2 miles in the dark of night to get back home. However, he did say that after 5PM I could legally park there (not something explained to me at Ponce De Leon Parking Authority).
Mike solved my problem without compromising his stance and the rights of the other party. What more could we ask of a student government?

Gunnar Heinrich is a visiting 3rd year Politics & International Relations major from the University of Aberdeen, King’s College in Scotland. He can be contacted at gunnarheinrich@hotmail.com.

It was maybe coincidence, but positioned just behind his left shoulder as Tyrique Stevenson spoke ab ...

The Miami Hurricanes unveiled a new turnover chain this season, replacing the bedazzled “U” that han ...

Before now, the last time the Miami Hurricanes scored 21 or fewer points in four consecutive games w ...

Keontra Smith waited a long time for the Miami Hurricnaes to finally offer him. The defensive back g ...

University of Miami true freshman running back Cam’ron Davis, known as Cam for short, is about to lo ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

UM Professor of Law Frances R. Hill tells us what we should know. ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...

The Canes hit the road for the final time in the 2018 regular season and it is to a familiar and hos ...

The Canes top the Golden Eagles to move onto the WNIT Championship game. ...

Miami wraps up its season-opening homestand with a 2 p.m. Saturday matchup against Bethune-Cookman a ...

University of Miami head golf coach Patti Rizzo announced Thursday the signing of three golfers to N ...