Career Expo ’03

Possible job and internship opportunities were available for students and alumni last week in the Wellness Center at the annual Spring Career Expo.
Sponsored by the Toppel Career Center, the expo featured 75 companies representing a variety of industries.
Christian Garcia, associate director of the Toppel Center for Career Planning, emphasized the networking aspect the event contributes.
“It’s an excellent chance for [students]to meet with a variety of recruiters in one setting,” Garcia said. “This is not something that happens often.”
Monica Griffin, college relations program leader for the Walt Disney company, spoke with students regarding the Imagineering program, a program that combines imagination and engineering to produce family entertainment. The company set up a competition for students interested in the program. Griffin mentioned the diversity of UM as a significant reason the company decided to recruit here.
“This premier program gives students the opportunity to showcase their talent through a competition,” Griffin said. “We are looking across the board from engineers to graphic designers to model makers to creative writers.”
Other company representatives decided to use the event differently.
Jose Cosio, a financial services professional with Mass Mutual, described the expo as a first round interview for students and alumni.
“The students are very well prepared. They have read up on us and have asked us very detailed questions,” Cosio said. “One of the most common questions students asked was how our company has been affected by the market.”
For underclassmen the expo was a good chance to get a head start.
“This was the first time I had gone to any career fair,” Luca Marseglia, junior finance major, said. “It was interesting because it was good to be in touch with some of the representatives, and I could hand out my resume and talk with executives.”
Anne Ogunrinde, a graduate student who majored in computer engineering, felt there were not enough companies with available job opportunities at the expo for her area of study.
According to Garcia, most schools throughout the country are experiencing a 30 to 50 percent decrease in the amount of companies attending their career fairs; UM has not experienced this and thus continues to be a strong force in campus recruiting.
“We do our best to market our Expo to companies all over the country; the reality is that we had 19 new companies come to our Expo this year,” Garcia said. “It’s a frustrating time, but it doesn’t mean that you can’t find a job – my advice would be to be flexible and open yourself to other options.”
Garcia recommends that students consider going into an industry where current skills can be utilized and new skills can be acquired.
“People are finding jobs – it’s just taking a lot more effort on their part,” Garcia said.
Shane Spassoff, store team leader for Target, also mentioned that students should use their skills in a variety of fields they might not have considered.
Organizers say that although the amount of students in attendance at the expo decreased compared to previous years, the turnout was still strong.
“Overall it was a success,” Garcia said. “The employers in attendance were very happy with the quality of the students and alumni they spoke to.”
For a complete list of the companies that participated in the expo, visit www.miami.edu/careerexpo. For more information on career-related topics, contact the Toppel Center for Career Planning at 305-284-5451.

Paul Fajardo can be contacted at pfajardo@umsis.miami.edu.

University of Miami tailback/fullback Trayone Gray, a popular fifth-year senior out of Miami Carol C ...

When Mother’s Day came around back in May, Keontra Smith knew it was time to unveil his college comm ...

University of Miami true freshman quarterback Jarren Williams was not at practice on Tuesday morning ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Monday: ▪ The Hurricanes, who began the offseason with five highly sk ...

There’s no doubt who the starting quarterback is at the University of Miami. As for those other thre ...

Conquer common back to school challenges with an expert's guide for parents and children. ...

Unique camp supports children whose parents have cancer. ...

New study shows that discriminating against workers with tattoos puts hiring managers at a competiti ...

Bill Clinton convenes the second summit of his CGI Action Network on Post-Disaster Recovery at UM. ...

A UM researcher has determined that children exposed to traumatic events exhibit pains that if left ...

Head coach Mark Richt, all 10 assistant coaches and more than 50 players met with the media at the N ...

The Miami Hurricanes were under the lights at Hard Rock Stadium Saturday, closing out the opening we ...

The University of Miami volleyball program reported for training on Tuesday, officially beginning pr ...

Several members of Miami's highly-rated recruiting class have entered fall camp hungry to prove ...

Two University of Miami Track and Field athletes represented their respective countries at the Europ ...