Why have we been ignoring North Korea until now?

Attention people who might be saddened by the obliteration of California: the CIA recently declassified information stating that North Korea has the capability to hit our west coast with a nuclear weapon. If that doesn’t make you feel warm inside, North Korea has upped the ante by saying that they have absolutely no problem using those weapons against us.
This raises some important questions. First, Americans have a right to know why the Bush administration has been all but ignoring North Korea until just recently. Yet still many Americans go on supporting Bush and his war with Iraq while more immediate threats go unnoticed.
Also, should we feel safe because they have been told to put plastic sheeting and duct tape over their windows in case of chemical warfare-the modern version of the “crawl under your desk and put your hands over your head” fairy tale that they fed to our parents?
And as many Americans continue to hate the Germans and French for refusing to back us against Iraq, we must ask should any nation back a war that they disagree with, thus sanctioning the killing of thousands upon thousands of people just because they owe us a favor? Had they supported us, we might be at war right now in Iraq, perhaps making us even more vulnerable to a North Korean attack.
Unfortunately, I have no witty remarks to end this column. I just have one sober question to those who still fervently support Bush and his administration. Can you explain the fact that Osama bin Laden is still at large and making new threats to the United States, that North Korea indisputably possesses nuclear weapons and is just itching to use them against us, and that the Bush administration still wants the world to believe that Iraq is our biggest threat?
If you can give me one good reason why that is not just plain stupidity and why Bush’s total disregard of the frighteningly real threat of North Korea does not constitute a failure on the part of our president to protect the citizens of his nation, then I swear, I will vote for Bush in 2004.
However, if you can’t find a reason why we are still searching for a “smoking barrel” in Iraq while there is a fully loaded gun staring us in the face in North Korea, well, maybe you will finally see what I mean when I say that the Bush presidency up until this point has been an utter failure and an insult to the citizens of this country.

Travis Atria is a senior majoring in English Literature. His fan mail can be directed to Batman7777@aol.com.

At their best, they are UM’s most dynamic players on each side of the ball. But the Ahmmon Richards ...

A day after practicing in the Carol Soffer Football Indoor Practice Facility for the first time in s ...

It appears that at least one LSU receiver won’t be available at the University of Miami football ope ...

After the Miami Hurricanes football team spent part of its practice on Monday in a torrential downpo ...

Nothing like a comic book cover on steroids to get University of Miami and LSU football fans juiced ...

Intergroup Dialogue, soon to be offered as a course, fosters a sense of belonging, an appreciation f ...

Aretha Franklin and her music defined “what is soul” to generations of music lovers. ...

The University of Miami kicked into high gear to welcome thousands of new students and ensure move-i ...

UM President Julio Frenk welcomes first-year and transfer students to UM in signature ’Cane Kickoff ...

Miami Law conducts its inaugural Legal Impact Hack for first-year students. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team won its exhibition match over FIU, 3-0, Saturday at the Knig ...

Coming off a road win in its season opener, the University of Miami soccer team will welcome crossto ...

In head coach Sarah Barnes' debut at the helm, the University of Miami soccer team won its seas ...

The Hurricanes practiced in the Carol Soffer Indoor Practice Facility for the first time ever on Fri ...

Malik Rosier, Travis Homer and Ahmmon Richards are key returning playmakers, but they are just the b ...