Student Government Candidates

Candidate: Andrew Cohn
Year in school: Sophomore
Major: Pre law/ Political Science
Leadership positions: Treasurer of Lambda Chi Alpha LCA Fraternity, member of GAMMA (Greeks advocating the mature management of alcohol)
Platform:
Extend library hours starting the week before midterms and continuing on to the end of the semester.
Provide additional stops for the Hurry ‘Cane shuttle at Mahoney/Pearson, Towers, and Hecht Athletic Center during days when the shuttle goes to the Grove.
Extend the days of the Grove shuttle ride to include Thursdays.
Create a system of grade-based coupons for books at the Bookstore (3.0 GPA- 10% discount, 3.5 GPA- 25% discount, 4.0 GPA 50% discount).
Provide optional Direct TV to students in the dorms.”I’m somebody that’s going to be here and be held accountable, I want to see change and I know I’m dedicated. I’m just one of you.”
Slogan: “I’m just one of you.”

Candidate: Robert Castro
Year in school: Senior
Major: Marketing
Leadership positions: Outstanding Government Chair in Student Government, president of FEC, president of Bacchus, vice president of Honor Council, member of Convocation Center Student Advisory Board, chair of Wellness Center Employee Advisory Board
Platform:
Initiate a commuter assistant peer resource center that would work similarly to the RA system in the dorms, providing support and assistance to commuter students.
Extend dining hall hours after 9 p.m. to allow students attending classes that end at 9:05 an opportunity to obtain a meal.
Ensure that Student Government covers the interests of all its constituencies.
Create a more cohesive SG and increase communication through the creation of a website that serves as a link between all branches of SG and facilitates communication between SG representatives and students.
Establish a general meeting once a month with all branches of SG. “I don’t want to let the students down; I’m a man of my word and I get things done.I want to put my energy into helping the University, and hopefully students will benefit from this.”
Slogan: “We have our eye on you!”

Candidate: Scott Sadowski
Year in school: Junior
Major: Finance and Economics
Leadership positions: Executive Chief of Staff for Student Government, Student Government Senate, Vice President of Sigma Phi Epsilon, Engineering Advisory Board.
Platform:
Extend shuttle route to include the School of Communication; provide free shuttle service to the airport.
Provide a wood chip lined trail around campus for running and jogging purposes.
Keep students on campus by providing better meals. This can be achieved by an increased food selection in the food court to include frozen yogurt and sushi stands.
Expand the Cane Express account use to include independent food stands and neighboring businesses, such as dry-cleaning, McDonalds, Moon, Blockbuster and delivery such as Papa Johns.
Create a three step process of developing the school that includes recruiting the best students by providing the option of an overnight visit with current students at the dorms, freshmen mentoring programs and working to improve the school’s reputation so that as alumni the UM degree has a higher recognized value.
Facilitate leadership retreats to allow organizations to grow together. “Strengthening the storm is all about taking what we have and maximizing our resources, making things work more efficiently. I’m a good listener and with over five years of Student Government experience our ticket will efficiently address the students’ needs in the upcoming school year.”
Slogan: “Strengthening the storm.”

It was maybe coincidence, but positioned just behind his left shoulder as Tyrique Stevenson spoke ab ...

The Miami Hurricanes unveiled a new turnover chain this season, replacing the bedazzled “U” that han ...

Before now, the last time the Miami Hurricanes scored 21 or fewer points in four consecutive games w ...

Keontra Smith waited a long time for the Miami Hurricnaes to finally offer him. The defensive back g ...

University of Miami true freshman running back Cam’ron Davis, known as Cam for short, is about to lo ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...

The Canes hit the road for the final time in the 2018 regular season and it is to a familiar and hos ...

The Canes top the Golden Eagles to move onto the WNIT Championship game. ...

Miami wraps up its season-opening homestand with a 2 p.m. Saturday matchup against Bethune-Cookman a ...

University of Miami head golf coach Patti Rizzo announced Thursday the signing of three golfers to N ...