Student Government Candidates

Candidate: Andrew Cohn
Year in school: Sophomore
Major: Pre law/ Political Science
Leadership positions: Treasurer of Lambda Chi Alpha LCA Fraternity, member of GAMMA (Greeks advocating the mature management of alcohol)
Platform:
Extend library hours starting the week before midterms and continuing on to the end of the semester.
Provide additional stops for the Hurry ‘Cane shuttle at Mahoney/Pearson, Towers, and Hecht Athletic Center during days when the shuttle goes to the Grove.
Extend the days of the Grove shuttle ride to include Thursdays.
Create a system of grade-based coupons for books at the Bookstore (3.0 GPA- 10% discount, 3.5 GPA- 25% discount, 4.0 GPA 50% discount).
Provide optional Direct TV to students in the dorms.”I’m somebody that’s going to be here and be held accountable, I want to see change and I know I’m dedicated. I’m just one of you.”
Slogan: “I’m just one of you.”

Candidate: Robert Castro
Year in school: Senior
Major: Marketing
Leadership positions: Outstanding Government Chair in Student Government, president of FEC, president of Bacchus, vice president of Honor Council, member of Convocation Center Student Advisory Board, chair of Wellness Center Employee Advisory Board
Platform:
Initiate a commuter assistant peer resource center that would work similarly to the RA system in the dorms, providing support and assistance to commuter students.
Extend dining hall hours after 9 p.m. to allow students attending classes that end at 9:05 an opportunity to obtain a meal.
Ensure that Student Government covers the interests of all its constituencies.
Create a more cohesive SG and increase communication through the creation of a website that serves as a link between all branches of SG and facilitates communication between SG representatives and students.
Establish a general meeting once a month with all branches of SG. “I don’t want to let the students down; I’m a man of my word and I get things done.I want to put my energy into helping the University, and hopefully students will benefit from this.”
Slogan: “We have our eye on you!”

Candidate: Scott Sadowski
Year in school: Junior
Major: Finance and Economics
Leadership positions: Executive Chief of Staff for Student Government, Student Government Senate, Vice President of Sigma Phi Epsilon, Engineering Advisory Board.
Platform:
Extend shuttle route to include the School of Communication; provide free shuttle service to the airport.
Provide a wood chip lined trail around campus for running and jogging purposes.
Keep students on campus by providing better meals. This can be achieved by an increased food selection in the food court to include frozen yogurt and sushi stands.
Expand the Cane Express account use to include independent food stands and neighboring businesses, such as dry-cleaning, McDonalds, Moon, Blockbuster and delivery such as Papa Johns.
Create a three step process of developing the school that includes recruiting the best students by providing the option of an overnight visit with current students at the dorms, freshmen mentoring programs and working to improve the school’s reputation so that as alumni the UM degree has a higher recognized value.
Facilitate leadership retreats to allow organizations to grow together. “Strengthening the storm is all about taking what we have and maximizing our resources, making things work more efficiently. I’m a good listener and with over five years of Student Government experience our ticket will efficiently address the students’ needs in the upcoming school year.”
Slogan: “Strengthening the storm.”

At their best, they are UM’s most dynamic players on each side of the ball. But the Ahmmon Richards ...

A day after practicing in the Carol Soffer Football Indoor Practice Facility for the first time in s ...

It appears that at least one LSU receiver won’t be available at the University of Miami football ope ...

After the Miami Hurricanes football team spent part of its practice on Monday in a torrential downpo ...

Nothing like a comic book cover on steroids to get University of Miami and LSU football fans juiced ...

Intergroup Dialogue, soon to be offered as a course, fosters a sense of belonging, an appreciation f ...

Aretha Franklin and her music defined “what is soul” to generations of music lovers. ...

The University of Miami kicked into high gear to welcome thousands of new students and ensure move-i ...

UM President Julio Frenk welcomes first-year and transfer students to UM in signature ’Cane Kickoff ...

Miami Law conducts its inaugural Legal Impact Hack for first-year students. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team won its exhibition match over FIU, 3-0, Saturday at the Knig ...

Coming off a road win in its season opener, the University of Miami soccer team will welcome crossto ...

In head coach Sarah Barnes' debut at the helm, the University of Miami soccer team won its seas ...

The Hurricanes practiced in the Carol Soffer Indoor Practice Facility for the first time ever on Fri ...

Malik Rosier, Travis Homer and Ahmmon Richards are key returning playmakers, but they are just the b ...