Sports Briefs

The Miami women’s tennis had its 12-match home-winning streak snapped as the No. 14-ranked Hurricanes were upset, 6-1, by No. 35 Harvard Monday afternoon at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center.

Women’s Tennis Brief
The Hurricanes fall to 4-2 overall while Harvard improves to 4-1 on the season.
Harvard jumped out early taking the 1-0 lead into singles with wins at No. 1 and No. 2 doubles.
Courtney Bergman and Susanna Lingman defeated Igna deVilliers and Abby Smith 9-7 at No. 1 doubles. Sanja Bajin and Alexis Martire knocked off Melissa Applebaum and Megan Bradley 8-4 at No. 2 doubles Sara Robbins tied the match at one-all with a straight set victory 6-3, 6-2 over Melissa Anderson at No. 6 singles.
The Crimson secured the victory by sweeping No. 1 through No. 5 singles. Bergman and Martire notched three set wins at No. 1 and No. 3 singles respectively. Lingman, ranked #64, recorded a 6-3, 7-5 win over #57 Mari Toro at No. 2 singles.
Eva Wang and Bajin recorded Harvard’s other two singles wins.
Bradley and Applebaum both won the first set before falling in three at No. 1 and No. 3 singles.
Miami continues to lead the all-time series 3-2 over Harvard.
Harvard will be back in action on Saturday when it hosts Boston University at 11 a.m. for its first home match of the spring season.
The Hurricanes are back in action Saturday at 1 p.m. hosting South Florida.

Compiled by the Sports Information Department.

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

The 1983 national champions will be back on campus to celebrate the 35thanniversary of Miami's ...

The University of Miami volleyball program begins ACC play on Friday night against Wake Forest at 7 ...

Head coach Katie Meier announced Wednesday the ninth annual Miami Women's Basketball Fantasy Ca ...

The yearly Miami Fall Invite will take place Friday through Sunday at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center, ...

Through three games, Miami is No. 1 in the country in tackles for loss and the entire Hurricanes def ...