Sports Briefs

The Miami women’s tennis had its 12-match home-winning streak snapped as the No. 14-ranked Hurricanes were upset, 6-1, by No. 35 Harvard Monday afternoon at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center.

Women’s Tennis Brief
The Hurricanes fall to 4-2 overall while Harvard improves to 4-1 on the season.
Harvard jumped out early taking the 1-0 lead into singles with wins at No. 1 and No. 2 doubles.
Courtney Bergman and Susanna Lingman defeated Igna deVilliers and Abby Smith 9-7 at No. 1 doubles. Sanja Bajin and Alexis Martire knocked off Melissa Applebaum and Megan Bradley 8-4 at No. 2 doubles Sara Robbins tied the match at one-all with a straight set victory 6-3, 6-2 over Melissa Anderson at No. 6 singles.
The Crimson secured the victory by sweeping No. 1 through No. 5 singles. Bergman and Martire notched three set wins at No. 1 and No. 3 singles respectively. Lingman, ranked #64, recorded a 6-3, 7-5 win over #57 Mari Toro at No. 2 singles.
Eva Wang and Bajin recorded Harvard’s other two singles wins.
Bradley and Applebaum both won the first set before falling in three at No. 1 and No. 3 singles.
Miami continues to lead the all-time series 3-2 over Harvard.
Harvard will be back in action on Saturday when it hosts Boston University at 11 a.m. for its first home match of the spring season.
The Hurricanes are back in action Saturday at 1 p.m. hosting South Florida.

Compiled by the Sports Information Department.

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Listeners to UM President Julio Frenk’s State of the U reacted positively to the message and the Uni ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...