Sports Briefs

The Miami women’s tennis had its 12-match home-winning streak snapped as the No. 14-ranked Hurricanes were upset, 6-1, by No. 35 Harvard Monday afternoon at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center.

Women’s Tennis Brief
The Hurricanes fall to 4-2 overall while Harvard improves to 4-1 on the season.
Harvard jumped out early taking the 1-0 lead into singles with wins at No. 1 and No. 2 doubles.
Courtney Bergman and Susanna Lingman defeated Igna deVilliers and Abby Smith 9-7 at No. 1 doubles. Sanja Bajin and Alexis Martire knocked off Melissa Applebaum and Megan Bradley 8-4 at No. 2 doubles Sara Robbins tied the match at one-all with a straight set victory 6-3, 6-2 over Melissa Anderson at No. 6 singles.
The Crimson secured the victory by sweeping No. 1 through No. 5 singles. Bergman and Martire notched three set wins at No. 1 and No. 3 singles respectively. Lingman, ranked #64, recorded a 6-3, 7-5 win over #57 Mari Toro at No. 2 singles.
Eva Wang and Bajin recorded Harvard’s other two singles wins.
Bradley and Applebaum both won the first set before falling in three at No. 1 and No. 3 singles.
Miami continues to lead the all-time series 3-2 over Harvard.
Harvard will be back in action on Saturday when it hosts Boston University at 11 a.m. for its first home match of the spring season.
The Hurricanes are back in action Saturday at 1 p.m. hosting South Florida.

Compiled by the Sports Information Department.

By showing how the controversial crime-fighting strategy is unevenly employed in marginalized neighb ...

Hosmay Lopez, of the NOAA Cooperative Institute for Marine and Atmospheric Studies at the University ...

UM alumna Shirley Hoffman Kilkelly was one of the few women engineers who worked on the Apollo 11 mo ...

College of Engineering alumnus Frank DeMattia was just 21 years old when he went to work at NASA on ...

Registered dietitian Stephanie Sanchez shares realistic, healthy ways to get you on track and headed ...

Sophomore tight end Brevin Jordan was among the 60 players named to the 2019 John Mackey Award Prese ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team added yet another elite accolade to her ...

Redshirt senior wide receiver K.J. Osborn was among six ACC players named to The Biletnikoff Award W ...

The National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) has awarded the University of Miami a 2019 NCAA ...

Dane Dunlap, William Grattan-Smith and Franco Aubone were each selected as All-Academic Scholar Athl ...