Non-conference opponents headline schedule

The 2003 Miami Hurricanes football team will face one of the toughest schedules in the nation, including games with seven teams that played in bowl games in the 2003 season and six games with teams that ended the season ranked in the top 25 nationally. All dates are tentative and subject to change.
The Hurricanes, one of college football’s top television ratings draws, also have two games penciled in for national telecasts. The first one is a Thursday night clash on ESPN with West Virginia on October 2 at the Orange Bowl. On Saturday, November 1, the Hurricanes will take on Virginia Tech in Blacksburg on ESPN. Seven home games are on tap, including contests with Florida, East Carolina and Tennessee.
“Our 2003 schedule will be a tough one featuring a great home schedule,” said Hurricanes head coach Larry Coker. “The schedule presents several challenges overall, including several games against some of the nation’s traditional powers and our tough BIG EAST rivals. We’re looking forward to the 2003 season.”
Miami is scheduled to open the season on the road at Shreveport, Louisiana, on Saturday, Aug. 30, against Louisiana Tech before beginning the home schedule with the 52nd renewal of its series with the University of Florida in the Orange Bowl on Saturday, Sept. 6. The Hurricanes host the Pirates of East Carolina in another non-conference home game on Saturday, Sept. 13. Miami opens its BIG EAST schedule on Sept. 20 at Boston College. After a week off, the Mountaineers of West Virginia will be the opponent in Miami’s BIG EAST home opener on Thursday, Oct. 2.
Miami’s annual showdown with Florida State takes place Saturday, Oct. 11, in Tallahassee as the Hurricanes and Seminoles square off for the 47th time. Miami hosts Temple on Oct. 18 and takes Oct. 25 off before hitting the road for another major BIG EAST clash on Nov. 1 at Virginia Tech. That battle with the Hokies kicks off a tough stretch run for the Hurricanes that features games on five consecutive Saturdays.
After the game at Virginia Tech, Miami returns home to the Orange Bowl to take on Tennessee on Saturday, Nov. 8. The game will be only the third meeting ever between the two perennial powers and is Tennessee’s first trip to South Florida since the 1998 Orange Bowl and the first time UT has played in the Orange Bowl stadium since the 1968 Orange Bowl Classic (a 26-24 loss to Oklahoma).
Miami finishes the 2003 regular season slate with three BIG EAST matchups. The stretch begins with a matchup with Syracuse on Nov. 15 at the Orange Bowl. Miami then closes the 2003 home slate on Nov. 22 against Rutgers at the Orange Bowl. The final game of the regular season figures to be a crucial one as the Hurricanes will travel to Pittsburgh to take on the Pittsburgh Panthers at Heinz Field on Saturday, Nov. 29.
The seven bowl teams on Miami’s schedule are: Florida (Outback Bowl), Boston College (Motor City Bowl winner), West Virginia (Continental Tire Bowl), Florida State (Sugar Bowl), Virginia Tech (Gator Bowl), Tennessee (Peach Bowl), and Pittsburgh (Insight Bowl winner).
Miami completed a 12-1 season in 2002 and advanced to its second consecutive Bowl Championship Series Championship Game. The Hurricanes won their seventh BIG EAST Conference title in 2002, running their winning streak against conference opponents to a league-record 24 games.

Courtesy of UM Sports Information.

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

George Stewart had a big problem, and little time to solve it. It was Week 6 of the 2018 season, and ...

One of the interesting subplots of this Hurricanes season will be watching the evolution of a bunch ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ Coach Manny Diaz said the quarterback race among Ta ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

Varona, an attorney and educator who specializes in administrative law, communications and media law ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...

Courtney spent nine years previously on Jim Larranaga's staff from 1996-2005. ...

The University of Miami track and field program received 17 All-America honors at the conclusion of ...