EDITORIAL : Clear leader: Sadowski

Recently, The Miami Hurricane conducted interviews with all three candidates for SG president. The candidates were asked to provide substantial personal background information, including any leadership positions they have held and any applicable experience they have had in SG. Each also gave a detailed explanation of his platform, complete with his desired long-term vision for UM and a response to recent issues that have affected the UM community, such as the recent tuition increase.
The first candidate interviewed, Andy Cohn, has the potential to be a quality leader. Although his involvement with SG has been minimal, Cohn’s intentions are solely focused on the student body and his optimism should be commended. He admits that he is not familiar with the exact process by which to get things done but says he can learn those things quickly. However, he is honest and doesn’t pretend to be anything he isn’t. Therefore, he is just what he says he is: one of us. Cohn will be a strong competitor for president next year if he increases his involvement in SG, learns the ropes of the legislative process at UM, and maintains his positive attitude.
On the other hand, Robert Castro, one of the biggest contenders for president, fell short of his potential. Castro’s close relationship with the administration and knowledge of the departments within campus will help in facilitating the SG process; these qualities make him a strong opposition to the other candidates. Some of the creative changes he has proposed, such as providing commuter students with mentors in order to facilitate the transition to college life, show that he is open to student needs. However, much of his platform is focused on improving cohesion within SG: a problem he did not attempt to resolve during the three years he was involved in SG. He also never pushed for his commuter mentor idea or the Chartwell’s extended hours initiative.
Castro seems to lack an organized outline, a direct plan of action, and a desire to stimulate major changes within UM. The strongest parts of his platform are minor changes he could have easily tackled in SG before. In short, Castro, with his numerous leadership roles, seems to exhibit traits associated with resume-builders who lack the character that defines a successful leader. Where are his priorities? Castro doesn’t emanate leadership; he emanates excessive involvement, but lacks initiative.
The last of the candidates, Scott Sadowski, the current executive chief of staff for SG, is by far the most qualified for the position of SG president, not only in terms of his experience, but also in terms of the initiative and planning he has put into his platform and into his campaign. He is running with Chris Clark, who has served as both freshman and sophomore senator and has accomplished most of the things that he has set out to do in those positions. The two have worked effectively in the past.
Further, key amongst Sadowski’s philosophy are student wellness, safety, and convenience. Many of his ideas are feasible, affordable, and needed. He has researched many of his ideas by investigating how other universities have conducted similar initiatives and programs throughout Florida, such as his idea to incorporate Cane Express into nearby businesses and restaurants. Sadowski also believes that UM should use the resources we currently have without having to raise tuition. However, perhaps the most impressive of all of Sadowski’s ideas is his three-step process plan that will inevitably increase the level of education and raise the caliber of the student experience for all incoming freshmen and current students.
In sum, Sadowski represents effective leadership strategies, potential, and meaningful involvement that stems from a genuine passion to generate positive changes. He picks up where the other candidates lack and excels in terms of his leadership capabilities. It is therefore, the opinion of the editorial staff of The Miami Hurricane, that Scott Sadowski will be the most influential of all the candidates for the advancement of the student body and the betterment of the entire UM community.

At their best, they are UM’s most dynamic players on each side of the ball. But the Ahmmon Richards ...

A day after practicing in the Carol Soffer Football Indoor Practice Facility for the first time in s ...

It appears that at least one LSU receiver won’t be available at the University of Miami football ope ...

After the Miami Hurricanes football team spent part of its practice on Monday in a torrential downpo ...

Nothing like a comic book cover on steroids to get University of Miami and LSU football fans juiced ...

Intergroup Dialogue, soon to be offered as a course, fosters a sense of belonging, an appreciation f ...

Aretha Franklin and her music defined “what is soul” to generations of music lovers. ...

The University of Miami kicked into high gear to welcome thousands of new students and ensure move-i ...

UM President Julio Frenk welcomes first-year and transfer students to UM in signature ’Cane Kickoff ...

Miami Law conducts its inaugural Legal Impact Hack for first-year students. ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team picked up a victory ...

The University of Miami volleyball team won its exhibition match over FIU, 3-0, Saturday at the Knig ...

Coming off a road win in its season opener, the University of Miami soccer team will welcome crossto ...

In head coach Sarah Barnes' debut at the helm, the University of Miami soccer team won its seas ...

The Hurricanes practiced in the Carol Soffer Indoor Practice Facility for the first time ever on Fri ...