A dialogue on war: Learn lessons from the past

Warmonger: Some will die if we invade Iraq, but millions will die if we don’t and Saddam employs biochemical weapons!
Peace Lover: U.N. inspectors haven’t uncovered such weapons, but let’s pretend Saddam has them. Why hasn’t he used them to subdue his neighbors and kill millions? Well, I suspect Saddam would invite total annihilation if he did. He is a megalomaniac interested in self-preservation. Do you think he’d be suicidal enough to offensively employ ‘illicit’ weapons without provocation? I doubt it. However, I reckon that Saddam would unhesitatingly use illicit weapons out of desperation and with nothing to lose if America attempted to conquer Iraq.
And don’t be too sure that there will be ‘some’ casualties in a war; Iraqis are people too. Over 100,000 died during Desert Storm and its aftermath. The film Hidden Wars of Desert Storm reveals that American forces littered Iraq with uranium-enhanced ammo, which remains radioactive for billions of years, and may have contributed to high rates of Iraqi birth defects and cancer – and Gulf War Syndrome.
Warmonger: Saddam used chemical weapons against his own people and has Al Qaeda ties!
Peace Lover: Saddam Hussein used chemical weapons against the Kurds and Iranians during the 1980s, and America did nothing; it supported Iraq at the time, and even sent Donald Rumsfeld to meet Saddam! It may shock you that America tolerated a tyrant, but we did. And there’s no evidence suggesting that secular and socialist Saddam has Al Qaeda ties.
Warmonger: U.N. inspections and the United Nations are a farce, but since Saddam has violated U.N. Resolution 1441, we should attack him!
Peace Lover: Do you really think the U.N. is a farce? Do you seriously want to live in a world without a forum for international dialogue? Well, if you truly believe the U.N. is a farce, then you should scrap the gripe about Iraq’s noncompliance with U.N. resolutions. It’s logically inconsistent to state that the U.N. is a farce and concurrently suggest that Iraq should comply with farcical resolutions. If you really believe the U.N. is a sham, then give credit to Iraq for agreeing with you!
If America dedicated itself to spending resources on promoting constructive and rehabilitative dialogue both at home and abroad, future generations would reap the benefits. The U.N. was established after World War Two with future generations in mind. Learn from the past; war is not something we should strive for.

R.S. Jolly is a senior philosophy major.

The Miami Hurricanes didn’t waste long to find their replacements for Manny Diaz at defensive coordi ...

The Miami Hurricanes will have to try to get revenge on the Wisconsin Badgers without perhaps their ...

Mark Barnes likes to call Zion Nelson a “throwback” player, but the coach really means Nelson is sor ...

The land of palm trees, beaches and mojitos gave way to the land of the Liberty Bell, cheesesteaks a ...

The University of Miami on Thursday launched a national search as it begins the difficult task of re ...

The Foote Fellows Honors Program offers students added flexibility to pursue multiple academic inter ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The University of Miami will welcome more than 1,000 new graduates into the UM alumni family during ...

Hurricanes Name Banda, Patke Co-Defensive Coordinators; Promote Simpson to Associate Head Coach ...

The No. 24/22 Miami women's basketball team will conclude its three-game homestand Sunday at 1 ...

World Series champion and UM baseball All-American Jon Jay will headline the 2019 First Pitch Banque ...

Fall graduation ceremonies held Thursday at Watsco Center. ...

The Miami women's basketball team ascended one position in each of the major national polls thi ...