The lawsuit crusaders: pure desperation or stupidity

It is hard not to laugh when I read the paper sometimes-it’s really hard to believe that some people just weren’t born with dignity. Take the idiot who sued McDonalds for a broken tooth and ruined marriage from biting into a bagel. A bagel! I thought that incidents with the hot coffee and “McDonalds made my child fat” lawsuits were extreme but “McDonalds broke up my marriage” is lamer. Our economy may stink, but we as semi-reputable humans should not resort to random acts of possible income padding via meaningless lawsuits.
It seems America is more interested in putting their energy into suing their fast food chains instead of suing the government for misrepresentation. Either America is really bored, really enthralled with fast food, or just plain irresponsible.
I think it has to do with the fact that no one takes responsibility for their actions anymore, particularly adults. If their child grows up twisted, they blame it on the video games that they bought them or the television that they gave their children access to or that oh-so violent toy they got them for Christmas.
The worst part of all of it is they actually win their lawsuits the majority of the time. Smokers won billion dollar lawsuits because they burned out their lungs for 20 years-never mind the numerous warnings about smoking-and never mind that they still have the cancer stick stuck to their lips. Boy I wish I had the time and energy to jump on the bandwagon and sue my professors for bad grades, or my parents for divorcing, or even Chartwells for every time that I get nauseous just thinking about them. Maybe my pockets could be just a little fatter with stupidity. Or maybe I could actually earn my own money.
Yeah, yeah, America is a free country and as long as you make a valid argument you can sue, but where does that place our lawyers on the totem pole, and what about lawsuit catastrophes in the medical field that have run doctors into hiding? America and its lawsuit crusaders need to grow up and take responsibility for their actions. They need to stop investing time in quick money and start investing time in reputable futures.

Marquita K. Bell is a sophomore majoring in Print Journalism and Political Science.

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ Hurricanes fans aren’t the only ones exasperated by t ...

If Saturday wasn’t a turning point for N’Kosi Perry, it was maybe the start of one — at least this i ...

The question for Manny Diaz was simple, and the defensive coordinator’s answer was simple, too — sor ...

The University of Miami’s popular turnover chain was spotlighted in a promotional video for February ...

The evidence was glaring. On Monday night, Miami true freshman running back Lorenzo Lingard posted o ...

New student organization’s mission is a movement to return to the ‘roots’ of natural hair. ...

A University of Miami professor discusses the dynamics of this trend. ...

A mobile museum coming to UM this week will showcase relics of the African-American experience. ...

Get set for a whirlwind of information on critical issues facing the planet and how to tell those st ...

Professors and staff from UM are offering students an in-class introduction to gardening and food pr ...

The Canes have two games left in the 2018 regular season and they have one goal in mind: finish the ...

2018 NCAA Tournament programs match up at 7 p.m. at Watsco Center. ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team will host No. 19 Marquette in a top-25 matchup Thursda ...

Director of Track and Field/Cross Country Amy Deem announced the University of Miami's 2019 tra ...

The Miami women's basketball team moved up one spot to No. 24 nationally in this week's As ...